Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple spaces after "I " when writing emails etc

I'm experiencing a very frustrating problem. Ever since I got my new Mac in November I've noticed when typing "I " I get lots of extra spaces after the letter. The problem only occurs when typing on the computer. In Pages I get one extra space after "I " but in email it adds two spaces after "I " and then two more spaces after I write the next word and press the space bar. It is really frustrating to have to go back and manually delete all of these extra spaces!! As you can see it is also doing it in this text. How can I fix this formatting issue?

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 12:58 PM

It has been doing this since the day I got it out of the box (In late November) and I only get the extra spaces after a capital “I.” I would be shocked if the problem was with the space bar since it is so specific to one single word. It also adds even more spaces between “I“ and the following word after I complete the next word and hit the space bar. To me that speaks of a software problem instead of a hardware problem. If it were tied to the physical space bar I would expect the extra spaces to happen on other instances where the space bar is used and it does not.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2023 12:58 PM in response to James Brickley

It has been doing this since the day I got it out of the box (In late November) and I only get the extra spaces after a capital “I.” I would be shocked if the problem was with the space bar since it is so specific to one single word. It also adds even more spaces between “I“ and the following word after I complete the next word and hit the space bar. To me that speaks of a software problem instead of a hardware problem. If it were tied to the physical space bar I would expect the extra spaces to happen on other instances where the space bar is used and it does not.

Jan 10, 2023 12:53 PM in response to Gsfiddler

See if you can procure a can of compressed air at any office supply store and try blasting air under the spacebar. If there's some debris under the keys it can cause issues. Do not turn the can upside down or you will dispense super cold propellent that can cause frostbite burns. Start with the MacBook turned off and work the keys as you try to spray under them. When the can becomes cold, stop wait a few minutes and try again.

If there is any possibility that something liquid may have been spilled on the keyboard, you should immediately take it in for service. Over time many liquids can have a corrosive effect upon electronic components causing solder joints to fail and short circuits to occur. The sooner you can service a laptop with a spill the better, it needs to be dissembled and properly cleaned. This is not recommended for someone without the proper tools and experience. Apple Authorized Service Centers would be highly recommended.

Do not eat over your keyboard, crumbs and food particles definitely can enter under the keys and cause issues. It's something I frequently come across. I once had a customer who ate breakfast bars over their laptop every day and we had to replace the internal keyboard on their PC laptop.

Multiple spaces after "I " when writing emails etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.