Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook keyboard still sticky after liquid damage repair

I got my MacBook 14'' M1 Pro repaired two weeks ago from a juice spill. The internal core is working fine. The Apple team, however, did not replace my keyboard, and some of my keys are still sticky or make loud crackling noises when I type. It's almost like sugar residue blows some of the keys. Could Apple Fix this, or will I have to peel off the keys myself and clean them?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 5:43 PM

Take the laptop back right away and have them make things right. If you wait too long, they may say you had another liquid spill. It can sometimes take a bit of time for the liquid to dry out and become sticky which is why the tech overlooked it originally. Plus if the sticky keys are used, then it may loosen the key up so it appears Ok, but after sitting a bit unused will cause the key to become "stuck" again.

Depending how the laptop was repaired, this can be tricky to resolve especially if the laptop was sent to an Apple mail-in depot (by Apple, or AASP)...usually the AASP must contact Apple to make a repair exception first (repair should be free if the original was a mail-in repair). If the shop performed the repair themselves on their own premises, then you should only be charged for the extra part needing replacement as I would hope labor would be waived for missing this part originally on the previous repair.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2023 5:43 PM in response to CivisRomanusSum

Take the laptop back right away and have them make things right. If you wait too long, they may say you had another liquid spill. It can sometimes take a bit of time for the liquid to dry out and become sticky which is why the tech overlooked it originally. Plus if the sticky keys are used, then it may loosen the key up so it appears Ok, but after sitting a bit unused will cause the key to become "stuck" again.

Depending how the laptop was repaired, this can be tricky to resolve especially if the laptop was sent to an Apple mail-in depot (by Apple, or AASP)...usually the AASP must contact Apple to make a repair exception first (repair should be free if the original was a mail-in repair). If the shop performed the repair themselves on their own premises, then you should only be charged for the extra part needing replacement as I would hope labor would be waived for missing this part originally on the previous repair.

Macbook keyboard still sticky after liquid damage repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.