Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 2020 - Keyboard problem after spilling soup

Hi there.

So, yesterday I accidentally spilled a bit of soup on my MacBook. Not much, the quantity of a spoon.

At first the keyboard was ok except for the spacebar which was typing the accent button. Then the keyboard started getting crazy and typing alone. I shut down the Mac and today the keyboard is working well, except for the arrow keys (the left and down are not working). So I was wondering if it can be a problem for the computer in itself, I mean, I can't afford to get the Mac to repair in this moment and a keyboard replacement costs 300€ but I would like to know if the hardware is not affected. I mean if it doesn't happened anything in one day, I think it is ok right? The computer is running normally. The only problem is the arrow keys.

Thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 6:48 AM

Liquids of any amount or kind spilled on any Electrical Equipment including Computers is not a good fit - period.

Have see some users with similar spill of a liquid and the machine appeared to function normally - for a while.

Then and without any warning - presto and viola - the machine ceases to function at all.

Roll the Dice of chance - user choice.

Though, more often than not - the machine may cease to function as expected or at all at the least convient time of All and during a Mission Critical Moment.

We hope not this instance

Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Make an Appointment at the Apple Genius Bar and have them evaluate the compu

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2023 6:48 AM in response to Araujo9700

Liquids of any amount or kind spilled on any Electrical Equipment including Computers is not a good fit - period.

Have see some users with similar spill of a liquid and the machine appeared to function normally - for a while.

Then and without any warning - presto and viola - the machine ceases to function at all.

Roll the Dice of chance - user choice.

Though, more often than not - the machine may cease to function as expected or at all at the least convient time of All and during a Mission Critical Moment.

We hope not this instance

Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Make an Appointment at the Apple Genius Bar and have them evaluate the compu

MacBook Pro M1 2020 - Keyboard problem after spilling soup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.