Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OLD PASSCODE/

So I bought an my first iPhone and & has been a challenge to get used to for me. Recently I was locked out from apparently not remembering a passcode I had just created less than 5 minutes prior. After 10x’s & wait times, I was locked out. Not only that but then Apple required the original payment method that I no longer have to verify. Even worse, now the phone wasn’t accepting my password to my iCloud account. My life is in the phone! Everything is in it and I used finger print log ins mostly before. Apple store couldn’t help me and I waited to receive the call from Apple care to learn that I’d have to wait weeks before they would be asking for a different verification question before they decided to unlock me. Maybe.

Now Up to date… my phone was reset and I had things backed up successfully. BUT NOW, I received a message saying my account isn’t up to date and my messages in iCloud are requiring repairs to my iCloud . I input my passcode as they requested but now they’re asking for the old passcode as well , when that was the reason for getting locked out to begin with. What the heck? If the phone isn’t accepting my passcode originally and caused me to create a new one after being locked out because it wouldn’t recognize it yet said I forgot it then do they think I suddenly remembered the old passcode? I don’t have the old passcode that’s why I was locked out why require it now after I’ve been cleared and started over already . All of a sudden out of the blue they think I need to repair something suddenly ? Thought that was the purpose for making me Waite a month before I could use my phone again and regain access to my life? Can anyone help me please? I just don’t get it. I’ll include an image to what’s on the screen. Thank you so much! I hope there’s a way to repair things without an OLD unforgotten passcode.

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 11:32 PM

The reasons I can think of is...

• If you are restoring from a backup that was taken from another device that had another Apple ID/Passcode, then to protect your data you are required to give the passcode of the other device too. This could be one reason.
  • If you have changed the Passcode of the current device after erasing it and are trying to restore it from a backup that was taken using another Apple ID then also it may need the passcode that you had earlier.

The best would be to reset the passcode of the current device --> reset passcode -> If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ... This would not ask you for the old passcode.

That is the best I can think of.

I had a similar situation many times and I always did remember the passcodes of all my 5 iPhones so I never bothered to check what prompted the device to look for the passcode of the other device or my old passcode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2023 11:32 PM in response to DiDiElise

The reasons I can think of is...

• If you are restoring from a backup that was taken from another device that had another Apple ID/Passcode, then to protect your data you are required to give the passcode of the other device too. This could be one reason.
  • If you have changed the Passcode of the current device after erasing it and are trying to restore it from a backup that was taken using another Apple ID then also it may need the passcode that you had earlier.

The best would be to reset the passcode of the current device --> reset passcode -> If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ... This would not ask you for the old passcode.

That is the best I can think of.

I had a similar situation many times and I always did remember the passcodes of all my 5 iPhones so I never bothered to check what prompted the device to look for the passcode of the other device or my old passcode.

Jan 10, 2023 11:30 PM in response to DiDiElise

If you enter the wrong passcode on your iPhone Lock Screen too many times, an alert lets you know that your iPhone is disabled. (Learn what to do if you see "[Device] unavailable" or "Security Lockout" on your iPhone or iPad.)

Lock Screen Passcode or Screen Time Passcode.

Following this process is the only way out if your iPhone is disabled. The steps given in this link will help you reset the passcode -> If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

Note: If you have forgotten the Screen Time Passcode then restoring your device from a backup after the passcode reset will return the Passcode back to your device. So, please do not restore from a backup.

iCloud uses Apple ID credentials.

If you do not remember the Apple ID Password then follow the steps given in this Apple Article -> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you do not remember the Apple ID then follow the steps given in this Apple Article -> If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

OLD PASSCODE/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.