Handwritings and drawings in Freeform not syncing properly to my device

I’m experiencing an issue where Freeform boards shared with me come in with incomplete/missing handwritings and drawings, but the ones I create are fully visible both to me and users I share with. Everything else (i.e. images, shapes, documents, etc) loads correctly. I’m using iPadOS 16.2.

I have carried out the following steps to attempt to fix the issue:

• Close and reopen the affected board(s) - did not work
  • Force quit and restart Freeform - did not work
  • Check/change internet connection - did not work
  • Reboot iPad and reopen Freeform - did not work
  • Delete and reinstall Freeform - did not work

Is there anyone else experiencing this issue, and are there any workarounds?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 4:21 AM

Exact same issue here.

Just like in oldwebble's case, only fragments of my handwriting sync to my Mac and iPhone.

That's a pain.

iPad Pro A2232 on iPadOS 16.3

MBP14 (2021) on macOS 13.2

iPhone 13 mini on iOS 16.3

Similar questions

58 replies

Feb 21, 2023 2:31 AM in response to Bee-am

I also have completely fragmented boards in freeform after sync.

The original on my iPad mini (iPadOS 16.3.1) looks perfect.

Synced Version on my iPhone mini 12 (iOS 16.3.1) is destroyed.

Synced Versio on my MacBook Air (M1) (Mac OS Ventura, 13.2.1 (22D68)) is destroyed.

In this state unfortunately not usable. Major bug. Please fix asap.

Deleting on Mac and iPhone by disabling iCloud Sync doesn't help.

From my observations/guessing it concerns especially parts that have been edited, deleted, or similar.

Any Ideas how to solve instead of waiting for Apple to fix?

Jan 29, 2023 4:38 AM in response to andrei-m-visan-25

I can not confirm any "recovery" neither problem solved.

I do have an old board generated during CW03/23 (iPad Pro 11"(A1934) /iPad OS 16.3) . Which I do used also last week on the iPad and it doesn't sync properly my handwriting on my M1 Mac mini. (Ventura 13.2) and on my iPhone 14 Plus iOS 16.3.

Same observation applied with a new board generated last Friday with iPad OS 16.3.

From my point of view the "problem" is not solved, at least with my HW/SW Config.

May 25, 2023 10:36 AM in response to Bee-am

This issue has not been fixed as I am having this problem today 5-25-23 every device is up to date with latest versions... I did find an interesting work around though.

I am Using my iPad and M1 Mac mini on iCloud, granted this is not sharing between people but I think it will apply to that scenario as well.

1. Select newly hand written text on iPad
  2. Cut
  3. Paste

The handwritten text is now fully visible on the Mac.

Jan 13, 2023 3:29 PM in response to Bee-am

Thanks for reaching out Bee-am,

It sounds like you're having trouble seeing markup on Freeform boards that are sent to you, and you've tried to rule a few things out.

Since you've already tried a number of great steps without any success, we want to know more about how you are sharing them, as that might lead us to a resolution.

You mentioned that Freeform boards you share are intact, but ones you receive are missing some elements. Is this happening with one contact in particular that shares with you, or all of them?

Also, how are you sharing these with each other? You can check out this guide to Share Freeform boards and collaborate on iPad to see if there is any change.

If you still have trouble after that, your best bet is to Contact Apple for support and service and report the issue.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

May 30, 2023 2:44 PM in response to variableresults

I luckily haven’t noticed it in notes . I hope I never do.

it’s frustrating because I want to love it .I’ve noticed that if you duplicate a board , sometimes it can do the same thing to the original. So I’ve lost some data on my iPad now similar to on Mac.

but luckily I’ve been pretty much using notes anyway - I had one serious project in Freeform .

• fix the sync issue
  • introduce auto shapes
  • give us a dark , and blue canvas

and this app would be chefs kiss

Mar 26, 2023 7:35 PM in response to Bee-am

I can categorically confirm that iPadOS 16.3 or 16.3.1 has NOT fixed this bug and it's now got to the point where myself and the whole office is going to have to stop using Freeform because of it (and Apples apparent reluctance to fix it).

The only way I can share boards at the moment is to group select items and copy / paste them into an email!

Here's an example of what I'm getting after creating a board on my iPad Air 5;

iPad original (running iPadOS 16.3.1) created during the meeting.

Mac Studio (running Ventura 13.2.1) around 30 mins later once meeting was finished

iPhone 14 Pro Max (running iOS 16.3.1) just to see how it looked

Apple - please don't beta test on customers who have paid thousands of $$ to join the integrated Apple experience! 😢

Feb 12, 2023 9:56 AM in response to Bee-am

I haven't had cause to share boards with anyone but I'm on the most recent version of everything and experiencing this exact issue via iCloud.

Everything looks fine on my iPad where the drawings and hand written notes where made (Doc originated on my Mac) but the sketches and hand written stuff is missing more than half of what should be there on my Mac.

Still gotta go through the troubleshooting steps but this board was created on 16.3 and Ventura 13.2 so I'm guessing it's not entirely resolved yet. 😪

Gotta say, it made for some great cardio this morning.

A little heart attack never killed anyone, right?

i7 27" iMac | Ventura 13.2 | Incomplete boards

Gen5 12.9" iPad Pro MHNY3LL/A | 16.3 | Complete Boards

iPhone 14 Pro MQ0N3LL/A | 16.3 | Incomplete Boards

iCloud 2TB with ADP Enabled

Private Relay Enabled

Feb 16, 2023 10:11 PM in response to Bee-am

I had the exact same issue when I created a board on my iPad Mini 6th Gen (and wrote the text using the Apple Pencil 2nd Generation) and shared it with my Fiancé but she was seeing the text come up garbled on her iPhone 14 Pro Max and iPad Pro 5th Generation.

I unshared the board with her, and then upgraded her iPhone 14 Pro Max and iPad Pro 5th Generation to the latest iOS release (16.3.1), shared the board with her again and it fixed the issue.

Hopefully that helps.

Handwritings and drawings in Freeform not syncing properly to my device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.