Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won’t it let me use my email to change my apple ID email

Why won’t it let me change my apple id to my current email to change my apple ID email

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 5:27 PM

What happens when you try? Error message(s)?

From the Related Article above.

If you can't change your Apple ID

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

If you see a message that the email address you want to use isn't available or is already in use, check that you or a family member aren't already using that email address with a different Apple ID. If a family member is using that email address, remove it from their account then try to use it. 

Have you logged into your Apple ID to see if the address shows under Reachable At, as a Rescue email address, or as a Notification email address? If it is listed, you can remove/replace the email address.

Apple ID - Manage  

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, for example as a Notification email address or a Rescue e-mail address, then it can't be reused as an  Apple ID email address for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. You will need to get another e-mail address from somewhere like AOL or Yahoo to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

You can’t reuse the email address from a deleted Apple ID.  From the Apple Support Support article below:

Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple ID account to create a new Apple ID or with another existing Apple ID account?

No, once your Apple ID is deleted, you can't use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple ID. In addition, you can't use that email address with another existing Apple ID except as a rescue email. Also, if your primary Apple ID email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple ID after your Apple ID is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2023 5:27 PM in response to soph4900

What happens when you try? Error message(s)?

From the Related Article above.

If you can't change your Apple ID

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

If you see a message that the email address you want to use isn't available or is already in use, check that you or a family member aren't already using that email address with a different Apple ID. If a family member is using that email address, remove it from their account then try to use it. 

Have you logged into your Apple ID to see if the address shows under Reachable At, as a Rescue email address, or as a Notification email address? If it is listed, you can remove/replace the email address.

Apple ID - Manage  

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, for example as a Notification email address or a Rescue e-mail address, then it can't be reused as an  Apple ID email address for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. You will need to get another e-mail address from somewhere like AOL or Yahoo to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

You can’t reuse the email address from a deleted Apple ID.  From the Apple Support Support article below:

Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple ID account to create a new Apple ID or with another existing Apple ID account?

No, once your Apple ID is deleted, you can't use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple ID. In addition, you can't use that email address with another existing Apple ID except as a rescue email. Also, if your primary Apple ID email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple ID after your Apple ID is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes.

Why won’t it let me use my email to change my apple ID email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.