Weather app layers not loading correctly

The Weather radar layer for precipitation regularly fails to load correctly on my iPhone 12 Pro (iOS 16.2). Information appears in the surrounding geographic areas but over my location (with distinct horizontal and vertical borders), the layer is blank. However, zooming in or out reveals the information. There appears to be a specific scale at which the layer is unable to load correctly. Anyone else have the same experience and able to point me to a solution?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 1:28 PM

iPhone 13 Pro. Same problem. Precipitation layer doesn’t load. Sometime it will show one square with precipitationsbut never over my location. Dark sky never had this problem. Full bars on 5G or 1 gig internet. No difference. The Apple weather app simply does not show animations on the precipitation layer. Please restore Dark Sky until this is fixed

Similar questions

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 1:28 PM in response to Flat Top

iPhone 13 Pro. Same problem. Precipitation layer doesn’t load. Sometime it will show one square with precipitationsbut never over my location. Dark sky never had this problem. Full bars on 5G or 1 gig internet. No difference. The Apple weather app simply does not show animations on the precipitation layer. Please restore Dark Sky until this is fixed

Feb 25, 2023 4:39 AM in response to storysofar

Same problem here. 12-hour forecast kinda works after allowing location always, at least at one specific Zoom level, but 1-hour forecast shows no rain while it’s pouring outside, at any resolution, even though the little location ballon indicates rain. The progress bar on top tends to get stuck when the data loads and eventually disappears, but even then there’s still no data being displayed.

This aspect of the weather app has been broken for months.

Jan 29, 2023 4:55 AM in response to Flat Top

I have the exact same issue on my iPad Pro AND my IPhone 14. When I click on the radar image the “Next hour forecast” time line loads and moves but the radar image does not. If I zoom way out (show the entire region or country, the radar images show up, but as I zoom back in to see my local area, it does not load. :{. Very frustrating.

Feb 23, 2023 8:48 AM in response to Flat Top

I live in the US, 25 minutes away from a NWS weather radar location. Updated on 16.3.1 and have adjusted Location Services from Always On to using the app or widget as suggested in other similar threads. The radar sweep did work when that change was made for a while. Rebooting hasn't addressed the issue.

However here's the rub... To trigger location services only when I enable or interact with the app is an unacceptable fix in a severe weather situation. Is it my understanding that if my phone sits on my night stand while I sleep I won't be able to receive severe weather notifications regarding a tornado headed my way?

Apple needs to escalate this issue and fix it.

Mar 3, 2023 11:32 AM in response to Flat Top

Exact same issue here as well, on two different model iPhones, both fully updated. It happens on WiFi and cellular, continues after reboots (it happens in macOS as well), on both sides of the USA, exactly as others have described here. Dark Sky just worked. It's especially bad in that in the event of serious and dangerous weather where it's absolutely useless and potentially harmful as an unpopulated radar could lead someone to think the weather is safer than it actually is. I've sent feedback to Apple, maybe if more do they'll notice:

Feedback - Weather - Apple

What I don't get at all is does Apple even use their own weather app? Some of the employees must have noticed this? Either barely anyone at Apple uses weather, or this issue is of such a low-priority that they can't be bothered to fix it after months of it being broken.

Feb 28, 2023 11:58 AM in response to Flat Top

I've been seeing this too on multiple iphones, for multiple locations. It appears to be a defective display of the precipitation data for the "Next hour forecast" view.

It affects multiple locations. It is NOT a device connectivity issue. It is NOT resolved by a reboot. It has been observed on different versions of iOS (15.x and 16.x).

Fix it, Apple! You owe us a working weather app after shutting down dark sky!

Feb 27, 2023 4:12 AM in response to Flat Top

iPhone 13 Pro user here, been having the same issue since I had to switch away from DarkSky. If that app was able to get weather radar right, why can’t Apple’s? They felt the need to actually go in and shut DarkSky down because they wanted us to use their native app, but their native app’s radar never works. I went from having a good and reliable weather app (that I paid money to get!) to this. Apple should have waited till their app was fully working. Soooo annoying

Weather app layers not loading correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.