Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil Gen2

Where should I keep the apple pencil ? I'm not using the pencil regularly due to some reasons and for a while I'll be using it minimum so I'm afraid that keeping it attached to my ipad always will overchage it and hence damage the pencil.... It would be really helpful if someone guides me on this. Thankyou.

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 7:33 AM

It is completely safe to leave your Pencil docked with your iPad for extended period - in fact, this is recommended…

A second generation Apple Pencil should be kept docked with the iPad when not in active use - as this ensures that the tiny internal battery is kept optimally charged when not in use. Charging only occur when the battery requires charge from the iPad, optimal charge being entirely automatic.

Keeping the Pencil separated from the iPad when unused risks allowing its battery to discharge; if allowed to remain in this state, the battery will suffer irreparable damage. When the battery fails, the only remedy is to replace the entire Pencil; the battery is not a serviceable item.

An otherwise healthy Apple Pencil will suffer no negative consequences from being docked with its host iPad for extended periods.

Charge your Apple Pencil and check the battery - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2023 7:33 AM in response to vedant757

It is completely safe to leave your Pencil docked with your iPad for extended period - in fact, this is recommended…

A second generation Apple Pencil should be kept docked with the iPad when not in active use - as this ensures that the tiny internal battery is kept optimally charged when not in use. Charging only occur when the battery requires charge from the iPad, optimal charge being entirely automatic.

Keeping the Pencil separated from the iPad when unused risks allowing its battery to discharge; if allowed to remain in this state, the battery will suffer irreparable damage. When the battery fails, the only remedy is to replace the entire Pencil; the battery is not a serviceable item.

An otherwise healthy Apple Pencil will suffer no negative consequences from being docked with its host iPad for extended periods.

Charge your Apple Pencil and check the battery - Apple Support

Jan 12, 2023 7:19 AM in response to vedant757

The Pencil cannot be over charged, it controls its now charging and stops when it's fully charged. It's better to keep it charged at least 60 or 70% than to put it in a drawer and let it discharge entirely as that can actually damage the battery if it spends an extended period of time with 0% charge.

If you are not using it, charge it at least once a week to keep it at a 60% charge level.

Apple Pencil Gen2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.