Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot turn on Home sharing?

I follow the instruction on how to turn Home Share.

After input all the settings, I was prompted for Apple ID and then password.

As I submit the password, it just stuck and won't a tiny spinner in the Apple ID field keep spinning. Any help appreciated!

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 11:15 AM

Ok I managed to make it work, this is definitely a bug somewhere.

Apple support didn't get back to me as they promised, very disappointing.

So it seems like there are 3 settings that have to be "On" in order for Home sharing to work.

1. Apple ID (sign in for the Mac)
  2. Music App authorization (more on this here: Home sharing on Catalina not working - Apple Community)
  3. The sharing setting in "system Settings"

The 3 settings has to be turn on in the order above. Also, I experience time lags between steps for it to work, so if you do the 3 steps in quick succession , it will not work.

Here is what seems to work for me.

1. Make sure your setting 2 and 3 are turned off
  2. Sign you apple ID out, and then reboot.
  3. After reboot, turn back the 3 settings to on in the order listed, step away from your computer and get a coffee between each step.

This worked for me, hopefully for you as well.

Good luck!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2023 11:15 AM in response to oduj0okg

Ok I managed to make it work, this is definitely a bug somewhere.

Apple support didn't get back to me as they promised, very disappointing.

So it seems like there are 3 settings that have to be "On" in order for Home sharing to work.

1. Apple ID (sign in for the Mac)
  2. Music App authorization (more on this here: Home sharing on Catalina not working - Apple Community)
  3. The sharing setting in "system Settings"

The 3 settings has to be turn on in the order above. Also, I experience time lags between steps for it to work, so if you do the 3 steps in quick succession , it will not work.

Here is what seems to work for me.

1. Make sure your setting 2 and 3 are turned off
  2. Sign you apple ID out, and then reboot.
  3. After reboot, turn back the 3 settings to on in the order listed, step away from your computer and get a coffee between each step.

This worked for me, hopefully for you as well.

Good luck!

Jan 13, 2023 7:13 AM in response to oduj0okg

oduj0okg wrote:

I follow the instruction on how to turn Home Share.
After input all the settings, I was prompted for Apple ID and then password.
As I submit the password, it just stuck and won't a tiny spinner in the Apple ID field keep spinning. Any help appreciated!

Sign out of iCloud and back in again...compare your results.

>System Settings>AppleID

ref

Sign out of iCloud on your... Mac - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2023 12:19 PM in response to oduj0okg

Two things, first a BIG THANK YOU to oduj0okg for this. I was converting from a 2018 Mini to a new 2023 Mac Mini and everything was working except this. Frustrated and bummed all day (and night) until I found your post.

Second, In case this happens to someone: I followed the steps and waited 20 minutes between each step. When I tried to activate media sharing the darn thing kept spinning, I waited 20 minutes then force killed settings. I figured I would backup what I had so far, and while doing that I figured I would try turning media sharing on and let is spin while backing up. Lo and behold it was on! So, if you follow the steps above and it still spins a long time, kill it and check again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I do the same thing from time to time when I found a solution.

Feb 18, 2023 6:22 AM in response to oduj0okg

I've had the same issue several times. Some times a new Ventura installation worked. But last time it didn't. homesharingd wasn't present. Tried to copy one and start it from terminal - no luck. I had to install Monterey and start homesharing from there and then upgrade to Ventura and this works but a clean install does not.

Cannot turn on Home sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.