Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot turn on Home sharing?

I follow the instruction on how to turn Home Share.

After input all the settings, I was prompted for Apple ID and then password.

As I submit the password, it just stuck and won't a tiny spinner in the Apple ID field keep spinning. Any help appreciated!

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 11:15 AM

Ok I managed to make it work, this is definitely a bug somewhere.

Apple support didn't get back to me as they promised, very disappointing.

So it seems like there are 3 settings that have to be "On" in order for Home sharing to work.

1. Apple ID (sign in for the Mac)
  2. Music App authorization (more on this here: Home sharing on Catalina not working - Apple Community)
  3. The sharing setting in "system Settings"

The 3 settings has to be turn on in the order above. Also, I experience time lags between steps for it to work, so if you do the 3 steps in quick succession , it will not work.

Here is what seems to work for me.

1. Make sure your setting 2 and 3 are turned off
  2. Sign you apple ID out, and then reboot.
  3. After reboot, turn back the 3 settings to on in the order listed, step away from your computer and get a coffee between each step.

This worked for me, hopefully for you as well.

Good luck!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2023 11:15 AM in response to oduj0okg

Ok I managed to make it work, this is definitely a bug somewhere.

Apple support didn't get back to me as they promised, very disappointing.

So it seems like there are 3 settings that have to be "On" in order for Home sharing to work.

1. Apple ID (sign in for the Mac)
  2. Music App authorization (more on this here: Home sharing on Catalina not working - Apple Community)
  3. The sharing setting in "system Settings"

The 3 settings has to be turn on in the order above. Also, I experience time lags between steps for it to work, so if you do the 3 steps in quick succession , it will not work.

Here is what seems to work for me.

1. Make sure your setting 2 and 3 are turned off
  2. Sign you apple ID out, and then reboot.
  3. After reboot, turn back the 3 settings to on in the order listed, step away from your computer and get a coffee between each step.

This worked for me, hopefully for you as well.

Good luck!

Jan 13, 2023 7:13 AM in response to oduj0okg

oduj0okg wrote:

I follow the instruction on how to turn Home Share.
After input all the settings, I was prompted for Apple ID and then password.
As I submit the password, it just stuck and won't a tiny spinner in the Apple ID field keep spinning. Any help appreciated!

Sign out of iCloud and back in again...compare your results.

>System Settings>AppleID

ref

Sign out of iCloud on your... Mac - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2023 12:19 PM in response to oduj0okg

Two things, first a BIG THANK YOU to oduj0okg for this. I was converting from a 2018 Mini to a new 2023 Mac Mini and everything was working except this. Frustrated and bummed all day (and night) until I found your post.

Second, In case this happens to someone: I followed the steps and waited 20 minutes between each step. When I tried to activate media sharing the darn thing kept spinning, I waited 20 minutes then force killed settings. I figured I would backup what I had so far, and while doing that I figured I would try turning media sharing on and let is spin while backing up. Lo and behold it was on! So, if you follow the steps above and it still spins a long time, kill it and check again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I do the same thing from time to time when I found a solution.

Feb 18, 2023 6:22 AM in response to oduj0okg

I've had the same issue several times. Some times a new Ventura installation worked. But last time it didn't. homesharingd wasn't present. Tried to copy one and start it from terminal - no luck. I had to install Monterey and start homesharing from there and then upgrade to Ventura and this works but a clean install does not.

Cannot turn on Home sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.