Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update password is not accepted

I have tried to update my MacBook Pro 13 2020 M1 chip and have followed the instructions on here including updating in safe mode. Password is only accepted at login, but not when I try to update my MacBook. This if very frustrating. Is there something else I can try. I seem to be stuck in a circle.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 1:44 AM

In the one working account, the the Terminal command below to verify if this working account is a Admin Account of this computer

➡️ id -Gn username | grep -q -w admin && echo True || echo False ⬅️

If the $USER  is admin then True will result.

Credit to @VikingOSX

5 replies

Jan 18, 2023 3:32 AM in response to gerlando j.

Some very technical information below.

The " Owner Account of this computer "  has that privilege to add, remove, upgrade or downgrade accounts. This would include adding more Admin Accounts and / or downgrading an ADDED Admin account 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Normally the " Owner Account  " is the very first Account used when the Computer was Very First Setup as New and out of the box.

Adding additional Admin Account can be done there after.

Below link all provide additional insights about the Difference between Admin Accounts and Owner Accounts  

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/18/last-week-on-my-mac-the-perils-of-m1-ownership/

PS - Thank you too 😀 for the designation of Best Answer

update password is not accepted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.