My macbook pro won't recognize my password when updating software

Hello, I currently have the macOS Monterey on my Macbook Pro and have been getting notifications that it will update to Ventura. But everytime it asks for my password, it won't take it. I'm logged in right now but now I'm afraid to log out if my password is incorrect. I just set up this laptop a few months ago and don't recall changing my password so I don't know why it's not accepting it. How can I reset my password so I can update my laptop? TIA!

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 7:19 PM

Before doing anything else, make sure you have a good backup in case something goes wrong. There are a lot of ways to lose access to your data on these newer Macs due to all the new security features.

Try creating a new admin user account using the instructions in this Apple article:

Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Are you able to unlock the System Preferences? Having a spare admin user account is a good idea in case something goes wrong with the main account.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2023 7:19 PM in response to ajaxpcola

Before doing anything else, make sure you have a good backup in case something goes wrong. There are a lot of ways to lose access to your data on these newer Macs due to all the new security features.

Try creating a new admin user account using the instructions in this Apple article:

Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Are you able to unlock the System Preferences? Having a spare admin user account is a good idea in case something goes wrong with the main account.

My macbook pro won't recognize my password when updating software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.