User password in Ventura works for login but not accepted for updates or changes

Since updating to Ventura I've been having problems with my admin/user password. (They are the same). The password works for login - although it didn't and I had to reset the PRAM - but it is not accepted for any downloads or updates which require it and it doesn't work within the system - for example when I want to access or change something in the System's Privacy and Security to allow certain apps to update.

I am using a Macbook Pro 15" with Ventura 13.4.1

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 9:53 AM

Is your macOS user account an Admin account or just a Standard user account? Go to the "Users & Groups" System Settings to verify what type of account yours is. Only an admin user is able to unlock System Settings and to install updates.

2 replies

Jun 29, 2023 5:30 PM in response to HWTech

Admin account.

I had to reset the password using Apple ID and ran First Aid in Recovery mode - which indicated a problem in my data so I had to do a clean install and reload my data from a recent backup. It took hours and I still don't know what the bug was but all seems to be working well now!

User password in Ventura works for login but not accepted for updates or changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.