Gmail not syncing across devices in apple mail app

I believe I have read and tried all solutions in the community but still cannot sync gmail across devices. All apps up to date, OS up to date, IMAP enabled, signed out and back in again on all devices, deleted the mailbox on all devices then reinstalled yet when I delete an actual letter in gmail using my phone, my Mac mini and Mac air still show the letter as new. My inbox is flooding.

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 7:54 PM

This is still a huge problem for me as only my phone is syncing properly with gmail. iPad and MacBook do not. All worked perfectly fine until about a month ago . I have tried a bunch of fixes but nothing working .Please let me know what you find out - I would VERY much appreciate it!!

51 replies

Dec 11, 2023 12:55 PM in response to kman1022

I have 3 gmail accounts. I am signed in on all 3 of them on my iphone 13 pro max, iPad pro and MacBook pro. All devices are up to date. ONE of my 3 gmail accounts has a syncing problem: Details. If I work on my MacBook on that one problematic account, e.g.. if I write an email, save an email in drafts or delete an email, it DOES sync to my iPad and iPhone. the opposite does NOT happen however. e.g. if I work on my iPad and/or iphone, it does NOT sync to my MacBook. So my MacBook "talks" to my other 2 devices but my other 2 devices do not communicate with my MacBook. Apple support spent an hour with me yesterday and couldn't figure it out. Should I be reinstalling that problematic gmail account?? Any other suggestions?

Mar 30, 2023 5:22 PM in response to kman1022

Spent a bunch of time with Apple support and it looks like it’s a gmail problem not Apple Mail. If we try the sync with emails sent to my Apple iCloud email, everything syncs smoothly; emails to gmail address do not sync. Google has changed something and I will have to talk to them unless someone finds solution first. I have deleted all email addresses and reloaded and updated all software without results to fix problem.

Dec 10, 2023 5:58 AM in response to heather594

On my recently updated iPhone (Dec. 2023) iPhone does not show PUSH as an option for any email account except iCloud. All others have Fetch only, and they do not show the range of servers that will be fetched (drafts, sent, inbox etc). I wonder if this has to do with Workspaces. Even on a PC, one is unable to drag content from one Workspace to another, they are isolated islands of content.

Jun 11, 2023 12:50 PM in response to kman1022

On an ios phone or tablet, under the "Mail/accounts/fetch new data" make sure fetch is set to manual.

It seems IOS updates sometimes reset this to "automatically" which even indicates right there that it will only fetch new data when on WiFi and plugged into power. That's one reason it won't resync with Gmail. When set to manual, when you open the mail app or drag down to refresh the inbox, it's manually syncing and will do it properly.

Hope it helps.

Jan 13, 2023 10:31 AM in response to kman1022

The inbox is full delete the mails Keep mailboxes from getting too big in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

How to transfer mails from Mac to iPhone / iPad , even they are signed in with same Apple ID and password say example1@icloud.com 

In iPhone go to settings > in password and accounts > click on add account you can select the desired account it could be gmail , enter gmail address and password and sign in it will prompt to check calendar , mail , notes , slide the box of it the apps data will start syncing .

There is an option fetch new data - push > in iPhone

You can connect the iPhone and Mac using usb cable and sync them Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)

The mails from Mac / iPhone will sync and take time ( the fastest way is sync complete data ) they will be mirrored , you delete a mail from Mac it deletes in iPhone , make sure all the mails should be read ( no blue dots on each mail message ) Mark emails as read or unread in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

See the articles to delete mails from Mac Delete emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

And from iPhone Delete emails on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Mar 30, 2023 8:51 PM in response to loml2008

I was able to fix mine after doing all the other standard things, I went again into settings, mail, and selected the gmail account. Deleted it and then added it again (make sure you know your password to account). It now works smooth as silk and the iPad instantly updates the iPhone. I tried this earlier but software was earlier version so maybe had something to do with it not working first time. You may have to do this on all your devices. It was getting to be a real pain… but now back to way Apple products should work… seamlessly. Good luck

Aug 11, 2023 8:33 PM in response to Jimborino

My issue is the iPhone mail app keeps saying I have over 200 unread messages when in fact I have none unread. When I delete the read messages the count doesn’t go down. The gmail app says 93 or whatever which is probably true. I review and clean out the other mail app which is what is saying 200 unread. I’m so frustrated. Hours with Apple support to finally say it’s a google/gmail issue and it’s impossible to get support from them.

im fearful to delete any app. I’m not techie!

was that the issue you were having with syncing? This started about 2 weeks ago.

thank you.

Gmail not syncing across devices in apple mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.