Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16.2 did NOT fix the iPhone bug of wallpaper on Home Screen going to black

IOS 16.2 did NOT fix the bug of wallpaper on Home Screen going to black. It still randomly looses the wallpaper, re- boot resolves issue temporarily. Apple having buggy software updates is way too MS😤

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 5:40 PM

That is not a bug, that is a new feature of Do not Disturb that lets you set different wallpapers for Focus settings. Go to Settings/Wallpaper and create new wallpapers (don’t try to use ones set up with a previous version). Also delete any black wallpapers.

6 replies

Jan 13, 2023 6:17 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence, thanks for the rapid response and helpful workaround, I, and obviously 1,000’s of others, greatly appreciate your time in responding🙏 Gotta question the “not a bug” though. So a software upgrade that results in unwanted random behavior which wasn’t present in previous versions and requires user reconfig is now called an enhancement??😉

Jan 13, 2023 6:39 PM in response to capt141

A bug is something that does not do what the process was designed to do. But wallpaper is behaving exactly how it was designed to work. You may not like Apple’s design, but that does not make it a bug. iOS 16 allows wallpapers to change based on several options. If you choose a different option and there is no wallpaper designated for that option it will be blank. I encountered this when I first moved to iOS 16, but I now appreciate the flexibility of having different wallpaper for time of day or focus settings. It’s really convenient to instantly see that Do Not Disturb is on because the DND wallpaper is displayed.

Jan 14, 2023 12:20 PM in response to capt141

And in my case there were no black wallpapers. There is one and only one wallpaper that has been recreated multiple times.

So Disagree this isn't a bug.

IMHO -- I suspect this is related to iCloud. If one is in a bad service area and the photo has been moved to the cloud and the phone tries to get it back and that fails IOS gives you a blank screen.

So any ideas when this will be fixed?

iOS 16.2 did NOT fix the iPhone bug of wallpaper on Home Screen going to black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.