Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk Mail not deleted despite Mail Settings

In Mail Settings I set Junk Mail (Advanced) Filtering to Delete Message if Sender not in My Contacts AND if Message is Junk Mail.

This worked for a while, but gradually there are more and more Junk Mail Messages arriving in the Junk Mail bin.

Until today, this only occurred with Yahoo mail, it happened on Gmail today.

I'd appreciate advice on how to solve this.

(This is to do with my iMac using Ventura 13.1 running Apple Mail with iCloud, gmail and yahoo mail accounts.)

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 6:32 AM

mikeinnorfolk wrote:

In Mail Settings I set Junk Mail (Advanced) Filtering to Delete Message if Sender not in My Contacts AND if Message is Junk Mail.
This worked for a while, but gradually there are more and more Junk Mail Messages arriving in the Junk Mail bin.
(This is to do with my iMac using Ventura 13.1 running Apple Mail with iCloud, gmail and yahoo mail accounts.)

If Junk mail is your only spam filtering— it could be a disadvantage if you get new email from some website you are interacting with and verification is needed, as an example. The question becomes where is it?

It is important to be able to "review" junk or spam for legitimate emails that did not make it to your inbox.

You can always use Command A with in a mailbox select all email and delete in one go.

caveat emptor

If Junk mail is not working for you as expected—

If junk mail filters aren’t working in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Change Junk Mail settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Reduce junk mail in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 6:32 AM in response to mikeinnorfolk

mikeinnorfolk wrote:

If Junk mail is your only spam filtering— it could be a disadvantage if you get new email from some website you are interacting with and verification is needed, as an example. The question becomes where is it?

It is important to be able to "review" junk or spam for legitimate emails that did not make it to your inbox.

You can always use Command A with in a mailbox select all email and delete in one go.

caveat emptor

If Junk mail is not working for you as expected—

If junk mail filters aren’t working in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Change Junk Mail settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Reduce junk mail in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Junk Mail not deleted despite Mail Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.