Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen went blank on MacBook Air 2019 model

I use the laptop about 12-14 hours a day for primarily office-type functions, browsing the web, video, and photos. The fan recently started coming on more than usual. Then without any warning, in the midst of usual work, the screen went dark. I've tried numerous reboots and nothing brings the screen back on. The only screen activity involves a 1-2 second flash view of the Apple logo during reboot, along with an upward series of white lines that extend from the logo to the top of the screen. This can only be seen when the screen is nearly closed, only up about 4 inches. The keyboard lights up and sound indicates it is starting up. But nothing other than a dark screen after that.

Anyone have any ideas? One common google response calls this the "blue screen of death". I guess the screen is slightly a very dark blue (almost black), and this is more than it simply not turning on.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 9:36 AM

First try and startup from macOS recovery:

I

1. Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds.
  2. Press and release the power button, then immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R until you see an Apple logo or other image.

If you can startup from macOS recovery do this: If you started up from macOS Recovery, you should see a utilities window that includes Disk Utility. Select Disk Utility, then click Continue and follow the steps in this article:

Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk

If Disk Utility found no errors, reinstall macOS.

If Disk Utility found errors and repaired them, restart your Mac. If the issue returns after restarting, reinstall macOS.

If you cannot startup from macOS recovery but your Mac is turning on (with flashing apple logo for example) Contact - Official Apple Support to set your Mac up for service

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 9:36 AM in response to olson003

First try and startup from macOS recovery:

I

1. Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds.
  2. Press and release the power button, then immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R until you see an Apple logo or other image.

If you can startup from macOS recovery do this: If you started up from macOS Recovery, you should see a utilities window that includes Disk Utility. Select Disk Utility, then click Continue and follow the steps in this article:

Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk

If Disk Utility found no errors, reinstall macOS.

If Disk Utility found errors and repaired them, restart your Mac. If the issue returns after restarting, reinstall macOS.

If you cannot startup from macOS recovery but your Mac is turning on (with flashing apple logo for example) Contact - Official Apple Support to set your Mac up for service

Jan 14, 2023 9:42 AM in response to WheelieNick

Nick, thank you for the detailed reply. I appreciate this!

Unfortunately, the screen remained entirely black when doing your recommended procedure. Also, I tried resetting the SMC to no avail. Nothing on the screen. My Apple Care expired about 6 months ago. So I'm going to unravel if it is worth having repaired or simply purchasing a new laptop. I see that the MacBook Airs are now outfitted with the M2 chip and a better web camera, so maybe that is the best route to go. But thank you for your help and response today.

Screen went blank on MacBook Air 2019 model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.