Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music app keeps crashing Mac OS 12.6

The Music app on my MBP was not set to Sync Library. When I checked this box in Music > Preferences, the app crashed within a few seconds. Restarting the app only results in a nearly instant crash.

When I start the app in Safe Mode, it works just fine, except it is not actually syncing my playlists with my other devices. It says it has temporarily disabled any visual plugins that I may have installed, but I haven't installed any. The Library > iTunes > iTunes Plug-Ins folder is empty.

When I try to uncheck the Sync Library when Music is open in Safe Mode, I hit 'save' but re-opening Preferences reveals that the box is still checked. I can uncheck other boxes and these changes are saved. Only the 'Sync Library' refuses to allow itself to be unchecked.

When I tried to delete and reinstall Music, it refused to let me delete the app either by command-delete or dragging it to the trash. And yes, I rebooted.

I have two goals: I want Music to run normally, and I want it to sync downloads and changes to my playlists to my other devices. (I do get instant syncing between my 2010 iMac and my phone--just my MBP won't sync.)

I am running Mac OS 12.6 Monterey.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 1:10 PM

Do you have Time Machine backing up the Music folder? How recent is the most recent library in the Previous Libraries folder? You could try renaming your current .musiclibrary package and replace it with one from Time Machine or a copy of one in the Previous Libraries folder that you rename as Music Library.musiclibrary.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 1:10 PM in response to cejones@pitt.edu

Do you have Time Machine backing up the Music folder? How recent is the most recent library in the Previous Libraries folder? You could try renaming your current .musiclibrary package and replace it with one from Time Machine or a copy of one in the Previous Libraries folder that you rename as Music Library.musiclibrary.

tt2

Jan 14, 2023 11:40 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the quick response!

I did the option-Music launch and reselected Music Library.musiclibrary. It still crashed.

Command-clicking Music Library.musiclibrary plus shift+cmd+. gave me the following:

I see no .tmp files.

I could also try selecting one of the older libraries from the 'Previous Libraries' folder, and there is still the vast contents of the iTunes folder.

Apple Music app keeps crashing Mac OS 12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.