Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

icloud for Windows - stuck on initializing

Hi everyone,

i have Windows 11 installed and everything worked fine.

But suddenly my icloud drive stopped working.

It says "initializing" but nothing is happening.

I have already tried uninstalling and installing it, with no effect.

It works fine on iphone and browser.

Thanks!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 2:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 3:27 PM

Please do something. Based on this issue I have already lost some really important documents forewer, when I sign out and sign back in, as was suggestet from your IT support. Then I call your support, but their answer was, that this is not their problem, its Windows problem. And after some time your pearson on the other side of the telephone, just hang up, not once, it happend me now for at least 4 times. Unbeliviable. I am really ****** of about your IT support. Please fix this ASAP.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 3:27 PM in response to Lolo_1307

Please do something. Based on this issue I have already lost some really important documents forewer, when I sign out and sign back in, as was suggestet from your IT support. Then I call your support, but their answer was, that this is not their problem, its Windows problem. And after some time your pearson on the other side of the telephone, just hang up, not once, it happend me now for at least 4 times. Unbeliviable. I am really ****** of about your IT support. Please fix this ASAP.

Mar 28, 2023 8:27 AM in response to NagaS004

i found the solution that worked for me after days of researching.

1. uninstalled icloud drive
  2. sign out of microsoft acc from microsoft store
  3. installed icloud drive
  4. loged back into microsoft acc in microsoft store
  5. loged into icloud drive

Now icloud drive works

I did this a couple months ago. Works. Now it is stuck again. Every time that I do it I have to resync 200+GB of files. Not a great solution for me.

Mar 15, 2024 8:12 PM in response to RayRay-7

I tried everything in this thread and nothing worked until I saw RayRay-7's post. I signed out of iCloud and then right-clicked on the iCloud app and ran as an administrator (Like RayRay-7, I was already an administrator) and bingo! This was for a client of mine. My client spent 90 minutes on the phone with Apple tech support and the only way they could get it to work was by creating a new temp Windows profile. I had no interest in recreating my clients profile. Thanks RayRay-7!

Mar 25, 2023 6:09 AM in response to Lolo_1307

Had exactly the same issue. What helped was:

1. Logout from apple account on your windows machine iCloud application.
  2. Login again.
  3. Before starting synchronization - change the directory of iCloud. It looks like it does not have permission to write to the default one sometimes. I changed it to <user>/Documents/iCloudsomething

Works fine now.

Aug 2, 2023 12:23 PM in response to Lolo_1307

I once was reading this thread, since I got the same problem. Despite disabling iCloud which then deletes all files, I tried all hints on this thread. A few days ago, I resolved this issue for me in another, IMHO, interesting way.

My problems started after I realized that putting 50K+ files from emails created by https://thehorcrux.com is too much for iCloudDrive. I deleted files first on macOS and this made Windows (the latest Win10 build) stuck in syncing, maybe just too many files. I then deleted files on Windows directly. iCloud Drive sync, bookmarks and photos sync worked after this for a while and then stopped syncing on Windows completely, telling me "Initializing..." Both macbooks, iPhone and iPad kept working as expected. I checked the version of iCloud on Windows : it was 14.2. After a search, I landed on this thread. As mentioned, no hints from here worked for me and I already mentally decided that a bigger work is coming since deleting the whole iCloud and related files on Windows would mean a lot of manual syncing and sorting.

Before crashing all this one me, I first synced all files on the iCloud Drive on Windows with "Syncovery" to a NAS share. All worked well, not error reported. I then thought that a second copy as ZIP archive would make me feel much better :-). I use 7-zip. 7-zip refused to create an archive from iCloud Drive, reporting that "the cloud operation was unsuccessful" in the folder "<path to iCloud Drive>/.Trash". I host iCloud Drive in my home folder on the "C:" drive on Windows which is default, IIRC. Error reports by 7-zip confused me, since "Syncovery" did not report anything whereas I asked to take the whole folder, and not only its content, where ".Trash" might be considered as hidden and to be skipped.

I wanted to see what iCloud actually considers to be in "Trash". I first logged in on iclould.com and realized that iCloud knows only two files as candidates for a recovery on Drive. On Windows, the ".Trash" folder had tons of files which I deleted over a longer period of time. Interestingly, ".Trash" does not exist in the iCloud folder on macOS, since, I think, the global system "Bin" is used for this.

I decided to clean ".Trash" on Windows completely and did this form elevated (admin) command line with "rmdir /s /q .Trash", and then recreated this folder with "mkdir .Trash" but from another command line with my regular permissions. For a while, I was busy to check if 7-zip works again, but then I quickly realized that the status window from iCloud Drive stopped showing "Intializing..." on its own and actually counted down files left to sync very quickly. Wow! 8-) It works again! Bookmarks were synced again in Firefox, and iCloud Photos showed up in a sync in Lightroom! Yeah! It is back, no hassle with file sorting!

Try this, it might work for you too. I wish some engineering folks from Apple would read this too. I can gladly send some logs if I knew which. I think some weird things happened to ".Trash" which both system did not stand, so to say ;-)

Good luck!

Feb 10, 2024 8:25 AM in response to SnarkyCanadian

A million thank-yous for sharing this article link, i had been having iCloud Window 11 app problems for a while and the constant re-asking me for my password was super annoying that i disabled the app completely (and also resulting in Apple making me reset my password as it considered it a treat, which is good to know the Apple iCloud account protection works). After a recent update i decided to try again, but after signing in the iCloud app was stuck in "initializing" and nothing was syncing.

Read the above article and decided to try the "run as administrator" option for the iCloud app (even though my user account is an admin user account) and then... AWESOME, all working... :)

Honestly, i spent ages searching for possible solutions to this, or why the iCloud app wasn't playing nicely with Windows 11. It was making me question my decision on getting a MS laptop, after a lot of deliberation i decided to replace my 15 y/o MacBook Pro with a shinny new Surface Laptop 5 , as i read that new MacBooks cannot be upgraded or have components replaced - which is the exact thing that had kept my previous one in use for 15 years !!!?? (thanks Apple !). I use a Windows PC for work and Windows 10/11 OS seems to be really great (mostly) to use, so i took the plunge. Plus the Surface Laptop 5 reminds me of the good ol' MB days when they were aluminium - so pretty.

i was worried i would forever be consigned to the thought "now you have a PC, you will have to using iCloud via the web". This worked for me - I hope it does for others too.

Mar 8, 2023 7:30 AM in response to evgen244

I am having this issue as well, since weeks no sync for upload items. And like evgen244 I decided to log out and log back in and in the process lost all my recently created tax submission files. It did fix the upload sync for the duration of my logged in session. But next morning after booting the issue was back. I have since made the decision to migrate to OneDrive because I don't expect a fix for this in the coming months. My Reminders app space consumption issues also never got fixed after weeks of investigating with Apple Support. Given the low frequency of responders on this Discussion, I expect this will take years to fix. I advise to find a method that works for you, that allows you do to your job.

icloud for Windows - stuck on initializing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.