Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook scrolling Problem using Safari (iOS on iPad)

Since some days I've serious problems using facebook with safari on my iPad: As soon as i start scrolling on FB it starts to jump continously between different contents so normal working with FB gets totally impossible. I tried to solve this problem updating my iPad from iOS 15 to iOS 16, deleted cache and history - nothing helps.

Do anybody have an idea or a solution? Would be great!

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 3:53 PM

this started recently on my iPad. I noticed it on my Mac today (Big Sur 11.7.2). I downloaded DuckDuckGo browser on my iPad today and it didn't help. If you search on the topic there is a lot out there but no solutions. FB is probably trying to get everyone to get off the website and use the app.

104 replies

Jan 15, 2023 5:34 PM in response to 99papa

99papa wrote:

If it is Facebook doing this, why is it that the problem doesn't exist on a PC/Windows, on other browsers

Because website programmers sometimes have to work around various browser issues and quirks. A site that works great in Firefox might work slightly different in Explorer or Edge. Some new/advanced HTML or CSS code that works one way in Chrome, might work a different way in Safari, or not at all. It's been this way since the beginning of the web. Getting better, but never perfect and no two browsers work exactly the same.

Considering how complex and bloated Facebook has become, I am surprised it works at all half the time.

In this case, Facebook has rolled out some weird change to their client-side code that seems to be affecting all versions of Safari. It's even affecting Safari on Mac High Sierra despite that version of Safari getting no recent updates.

So no, this one is not Apple's fault and we're now at the mercy of Meta.

Jan 15, 2023 6:43 PM in response to tzuntzu

tzuntzu wrote:

It's not just FB, it's also happening on Discord so I'd say it's a Safari/Mac OS issue. Mine was working fine until I did the update yesterday.

Except that it's happening across the board on versions of Safari that were last updated long before the problems started yesterday. Safari 16 in Ventura and Safari 13 in High Sierra, neither recently updated, but equally affected only since yesterday. Explain that.

In all the threads on Apple, Reddit, and MacRumors discussing this Facebook issue in the last 24 hours, I have not seen one person say their version of Safari on Mac is working fine with Facebook. Not everyone applies updates on the same day, and not all versions need an update. For all versions of Safari to break for one particular website ALL on the exact same day points to one thing... the website.

Jan 15, 2023 1:20 PM in response to JoschiW

I'm having the same issue with Facebook on Safari as many others are since I installed an update this week. I start out scrolling on Facebook with no problem but that quickly changes to the point where is just continues to scroll and you can't read anything or click on comments because it just keeps scrolling. To say it's annoying is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!! Is this an Apple problem due to the update I just installed?

Jan 15, 2023 2:41 PM in response to JoschiW

On my Mac Studio running Ventura 13.1, I get the continuous scrolling in Facebook after scrolling down about half a page, only in Facebook, only in Safari (16.2). Desktop Chrome displays Facebook normally.

FB App on iPhone (iOS 16.2) and Facebook website opened in Safari show no issues.

iPad running iPadOS 16.2 also scrolls FB continuously as on desktop, Chrome on same iPad does as well, though only 3-half screens at a time, then pauses, different behavior than the "never stop scrolling" in Safari on the Mac Studio. This bug renders Facebook unusable on the iPad, and I am forced to use Chrome on desktop. So bizarre.

Jan 15, 2023 5:12 PM in response to JoschiW

I have the same issue with FB scrolling by itself on both my MBP running Catalina and safari 14 and my iPad. This is something that has just started in the last day or so. I don't think it has to do with the update as my MBP hasn't been updated in a while. Whatever it is, I sincerely hope it is resolved soon as it is horrible and renders FB unusable for both my personal and business accounts!

Jan 15, 2023 7:07 PM in response to CielW

CielW wrote:

I had no problem until I updated the IOS 15 for IPad Pro. I use safari. Hard reset & still not working correctly. Please fix this Apple. Thank you.

You updating your iPad yesterday would coincide with Facebook rolling out new code yesterday.

Safari v13.1.2 on High Sierra (10.13.6) running on a Mac Pro. No updates yesterday. Safari was last updated months ago and yet the same problem started yesterday for me too.

This is a Facebook problem.

Also, this...

2walla wrote:

My IPad was on 14 and started doing it yesterday. I upgraded to 16 and it still does it. It is NOT a an IOS version issue

Facebook scrolling Problem using Safari (iOS on iPad)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.