Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Pro Max camera issue

My iPhone 13 Pro Max camera when on photo or video setting the camera flickers. One of the icons for settings also pulses on & off. It’s next to the icon for flash. Any ideas on what is causing the problem? It should be noted if I have it on portrait, it does not happen.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 7:10 PM

Hey elyssafromgambrills,

We'd recommend reviewing the information in this article as it provides steps to help resolve camera issues: If the camera or flash on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working - Apple Support

"Remove case, accessory, or film and test

1. Remove any case, accessory, or film that might block the camera or flash or that places a magnet near the camera.
  2. Test the camera by trying to take a photo.
  3. Test the LED flash:
    1. Try the flashlight in Control Center on your iPhone or Control Center on your iPad. On an iPhone X or later or an iPad, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen. On an iPhone 8 or earlier, swipe up from the bottom edge of any screen.
    2. Tap the Flashlight button Flashlight icon.

If the flash works only sometimes, open the Camera app and tap the flash button   to choose a different setting.

Contact Apple Support

If the camera or flash still isn't working properly, contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

If you want to try more steps on your own

If you prefer, here are some more steps you can try on your own if the camera isn't working. You might still need to contact Apple Support after following these steps. 

1. If the photo is blurry, clean the front and back camera lenses with a microfiber cloth. If you see dirt or debris inside the lens or if the camera lens appears to be misaligned or blocked, contact Apple Support to discuss service options.
  2. Restart your iPhoneiPad, or iPod touch
  3. Test the camera again by taking a photo. If your device has a front and rear camera, check if one or both isn’t working. To switch cameras, tap the rotate button ."

Thanks!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2023 7:10 PM in response to elyssafromgambrills

Hey elyssafromgambrills,

We'd recommend reviewing the information in this article as it provides steps to help resolve camera issues: If the camera or flash on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working - Apple Support

"Remove case, accessory, or film and test

1. Remove any case, accessory, or film that might block the camera or flash or that places a magnet near the camera.
  2. Test the camera by trying to take a photo.
  3. Test the LED flash:
    1. Try the flashlight in Control Center on your iPhone or Control Center on your iPad. On an iPhone X or later or an iPad, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen. On an iPhone 8 or earlier, swipe up from the bottom edge of any screen.
    2. Tap the Flashlight button Flashlight icon.

If the flash works only sometimes, open the Camera app and tap the flash button   to choose a different setting.

Contact Apple Support

If the camera or flash still isn't working properly, contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

If you want to try more steps on your own

If you prefer, here are some more steps you can try on your own if the camera isn't working. You might still need to contact Apple Support after following these steps. 

1. If the photo is blurry, clean the front and back camera lenses with a microfiber cloth. If you see dirt or debris inside the lens or if the camera lens appears to be misaligned or blocked, contact Apple Support to discuss service options.
  2. Restart your iPhoneiPad, or iPod touch
  3. Test the camera again by taking a photo. If your device has a front and rear camera, check if one or both isn’t working. To switch cameras, tap the rotate button ."

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2023 1:45 PM in response to bytem

I also have the iPhone 13 Pro max, v. 16.1.1 and a few days ago my camera started “flickering” too. Like it’s going in and out of focus every 2 seconds and you can’t take any pictures or do anything to stop it. Yes, and a little icon by the flash symbol turns off and on with each flickering refocus too. But not in portrait mode. Weird. I went to the Software Update in my settings and requested version 16.3. A minute later my phone restarted. My settings say I’m still in version 16.1.1, but the flickering in the camera stopped! Hoping this is a permanent fix and doesn’t go back to flickering/focusing again.

iPhone 13 Pro Max camera issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.