Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie keeps on failing when exporting

I am trying to export a finished project but it is failing at different times during the export to file - usually at around 75%

I have tried restarting iMovie, my MacBook & deleting preferences

These things didn't help

I have created a new smaller project & this worked fine twice

But this larger project is having problems

I have around 120GB free on my hard drive

I've watched through and haven't seen any problems - but sometimes when I watch it overheats and lags so I might be missing it. Yet this lagging thing has always been an issue and I haven't had a problem with exporting other similar sized projects recently

I think this one is around 4GB, when others would be around 3GB

Not sure what the problem is or what else I can try...

Thank you!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 10:38 AM

Hi, sarah-janeb,

Try deleting preferences, as that often cures export issues. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can export. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

You can also try placing your media into a newly created project and see if you can export from there.

If you are exporting to an external drive, check to confirm that you have sufficient space on the drive to receive the movie.

Since the export aborts at about the same place each time, it is possible that there is a corruption frame or clip at that location. Use the slider above and to the right of the timeline to expand out the timeline. Then scroll slowly through the area well in front and after where the export stops, looking for black frames, white flashes, artifacts or anything that might indicate corruption. Cut out any that you find and try again to export.

You mention that you are getting lagging and overheating. Possibly you need to reset your System Management Controller. It is easy to do. However, it is not available if your Mac is using the new M1 silicon chip.

Here's a link for instructions:

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

You can also try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM.

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2023 10:38 AM in response to sarah-janeb

Hi, sarah-janeb,

Try deleting preferences, as that often cures export issues. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can export. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

You can also try placing your media into a newly created project and see if you can export from there.

If you are exporting to an external drive, check to confirm that you have sufficient space on the drive to receive the movie.

Since the export aborts at about the same place each time, it is possible that there is a corruption frame or clip at that location. Use the slider above and to the right of the timeline to expand out the timeline. Then scroll slowly through the area well in front and after where the export stops, looking for black frames, white flashes, artifacts or anything that might indicate corruption. Cut out any that you find and try again to export.

You mention that you are getting lagging and overheating. Possibly you need to reset your System Management Controller. It is easy to do. However, it is not available if your Mac is using the new M1 silicon chip.

Here's a link for instructions:

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

You can also try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM.

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

-- Rich

iMovie keeps on failing when exporting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.