Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fuzzy photos in iMovie

I have been using iMovie for 5 or more years to put together family videos and photos. My new iMac has version 10.3.5 and the photos that I put into iMovie are fuzzy and out of focus. They look fine in Photos. This never happened with my older iMac. What can I do?

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 10:23 AM

From your Photos app library, try exporting the photos to a folder on your desktop. Check to see that they display clearly. Then drag them into iMovie. See if they display clearly in iMovie.

• Rich
6 replies

Jan 15, 2023 10:27 AM in response to Rich839

Another thing that you can try, that often fixes iMovie issues, is to delete/reset preferences. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the photos display fuzzy. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure thatwill not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, try placing the photos into a newly created project and see if they display properly there.

-- Rich

Fuzzy photos in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.