Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset issues

I just bought a new MacBook so decided to restore my old 2015 MacBook Pro to factory settings to sell to a friend.

Followed all the instructions, reset, and waited for the Sierra to reinstall on the disk utility window.

Tried this at least 5 times, it gets down to -6 seconds, then nothing happens!

I've gone onto first aid, and everything is working ok.

Tried resetting again, and now it will only allow me to install OS X El Capitan, which I've red is no longer supported by Apple?

It's currently sitting at 1hr to install so we'll see if it works or not.

But has anyone else had this issue or can help me get my Mac up and running again?!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 10:52 AM

If other macOS Recovery modes do not work, using your new MacBook, create a bootable installer for macOS Monterey to be used on your old Mac: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support.

You'll need a USB flash drive or external hard disk.

Once you have the bootable installer, follow these steps:

1. Plug the bootable installer into a Mac that is connected to the internet and compatible with the version of macOS you're installing.
  2. Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Option (Alt) key.
  3. Release the Option key when you see a dark screen showing your bootable volumes.
  4. Select the volume containing the bootable installer. Then click the onscreen arrow or press Return. 
  5. Choose your language, if prompted.
  6. Select Disk Utility from the Utilities window, then click Continue. In Disk Utility, select View > Show All Devices and erase the main drive. Its name will end in "Media". Make sure this information matches:
    1. Name: Macintosh HD
    2. Format: APFS
    3. Scheme: GUID
  7. Select Install macOS (or Install OS X) from the Utilities window, then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

Jack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2023 10:52 AM in response to _hmr

If other macOS Recovery modes do not work, using your new MacBook, create a bootable installer for macOS Monterey to be used on your old Mac: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support.

You'll need a USB flash drive or external hard disk.

Once you have the bootable installer, follow these steps:

1. Plug the bootable installer into a Mac that is connected to the internet and compatible with the version of macOS you're installing.
  2. Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Option (Alt) key.
  3. Release the Option key when you see a dark screen showing your bootable volumes.
  4. Select the volume containing the bootable installer. Then click the onscreen arrow or press Return. 
  5. Choose your language, if prompted.
  6. Select Disk Utility from the Utilities window, then click Continue. In Disk Utility, select View > Show All Devices and erase the main drive. Its name will end in "Media". Make sure this information matches:
    1. Name: Macintosh HD
    2. Format: APFS
    3. Scheme: GUID
  7. Select Install macOS (or Install OS X) from the Utilities window, then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

Jack

Jan 16, 2023 9:47 AM in response to _hmr

What format is the drive?

Sierra can't use APFS.

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Factory reset issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.