You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rename external disk

OK, this is majorly weird. When I do a monthly backup, on an eternal disk, I rename that disk, as in "backup 1/16/23". I just did that backup, and I am UNABLE TO RENAME THE DISK! I click on the disk icon, and then the name, and nothing happens. Never seen this before. In fact, looking at my various mounted disks, some I am able to rename that way, and some I am not able to rename. In Get Info, the name of that disk is dimmed, and I am unable to change it there. I don't see any options in Disk Utility for renaming a disk.

How do I change the name of this disk??? I am using Monterey 12.6.2.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 9:24 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 16, 2023 9:55 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well, that's interesting. I go to disk utility, where I'll just erase the disk in order to give it a new name. No go. Disk Utility tells me "Couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process605 (fseventsd). Couldn't open device.: (-69877).

Whazzat?

So, I say, to **** with that. I'll just reboot. After reboot, I STILL can't do a name change for that disk. But I can, at least erase the disk and give it a new name. This is a pretty clutzy way to change the name of a disk!

Jan 16, 2023 10:04 AM in response to Dannymac22

I have a theory as to why you can't rename the drive.

It is not just a "drive", it is an APFS Volume Group, like the one you use to boot your system (at least mine is; it is bootable). Since Big Sur (or was it Catalina?) the system and data volumes are separate volumes inside such an APFS group. The Finder hides this from users, but I suppose that the whole structure could become inconsistent if one were to, say, rename just the system drive but not the data drive, or the other hidden volumes in there.

Jan 16, 2023 10:09 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I last did this monthly backup to this disk a month ago, and I could easily change the name of the disk then and before that. Nothing was changed on the disk. So either Monterey has changed or the new version of SuperDuper, which I just downloaded before doing the latest backup, changed something on the disk that prevents it from being renamed easily.

rename external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.