Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

parental controls keep resetting after 16 update

My daughter and I just did the new 16 updates and she was somehow able to get on social media I had restricted before. I put the parental locks back in place and not even 10 minutes later it reset again. I added them again and it just keeps unlocking everything. I rebooted both our phones to see if that would help and even just set them on her phone directly. Still keeps unlocking. Has anyone else noticed this?

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 11:05 AM

This is regretfully happening regularly as well on my daughter latest iPad on iOS 16.2

I insert properly and using all indicated steps the various settings I want to apply and any time from 10 minutes to a few hours after, they auto reset and the device start to have no restrictions. This is terribly frustrating and I hope that instead than keep suggesting people to follow the setup steps, Apple fix the buggy code that they have clearly released

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 11:05 AM in response to sarwag13

This is regretfully happening regularly as well on my daughter latest iPad on iOS 16.2

I insert properly and using all indicated steps the various settings I want to apply and any time from 10 minutes to a few hours after, they auto reset and the device start to have no restrictions. This is terribly frustrating and I hope that instead than keep suggesting people to follow the setup steps, Apple fix the buggy code that they have clearly released

Jan 18, 2023 8:25 AM in response to sarwag13

Hello sarwag13,

For this issue, we'd recommend double checking how you're setting this up using these steps: Set up parental controls with Family Sharing on iPhone

Set up Screen Time for a child later

Screen Time allows you to manage settings for downtime, app use, contacts, content ratings, and more. To use Screen Time, your child must be using an eligible device. See the Screen Time section in the Apple Support article System Requirements for iCloud.

1. Go to Settings  > [your name] > Family Sharing > Screen Time.

2. Tap the child you want to set up Screen Time for.

3. Tap Screen Time, then follow the onscreen instructions.

For information about Screen Time settings, see Set up Screen Time for a family member on iPhone.

To learn more about the different content & privacy restrictions, see the Apple Support article Use parental controls on your child’s iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

If your child requests more screen time, you can approve or decline the request in Settings  > Screen Time or in Messages .

If you're experiencing different results after following the steps above, then we'd recommend contacting Apple Support directly using: Contact Apple Support

They'll need to take it from here.

Wishing you well, take care.

parental controls keep resetting after 16 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.