Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FortiClient VPN connection drops-machine specific

3 months ago I got a new M1 Mac Mini now running Mac OS Ventura 13.1. Every time I use FortiClient to connect to my work VPN, the connection will randomly drop after a different amount of time each time. Sometimes it is within 30 minutes, sometimes it is after 2-3 hours. This is not a function of the built-in dropping after idle time--I could be actively typing and the connection will just drop.

I do not have this problem on my M2 MacBook Air, so this is a machine-specific issue--not related to the VPN or my account, etc.

I have tried doing a clean reinstall of the FortiClient software, and still experience this problem.

I installed the FortiClient software exactly the same way I installed it on my MacBook Air, so there shouldn't be an issue with configurations or access to directories and so on.

Can anyone think of anything to test? Is it possible to run the VPN in Safe Mode on a Mac? The only other software running during an active connection is the usual stuff--Safari, Mail, Pages, etc. There isn't any resource-intensive process running that might interfere with the connection.

I use Microsoft Remote Desktop for the VPN connection. I don't think this is what's causing the issue, but any input welcome.

Ideas welcome. Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 3:59 AM

RKNYC wrote:

3 months ago I got a new M1 Mac Mini now running Mac OS Ventura 13.1. Every time I use FortiClient to connect to my work VPN, the connection will randomly drop after a different amount of time each time. Sometimes it is within 30 minutes, sometimes it is after 2-3 hours. This is not a function of the built-in dropping after idle time--I could be actively typing and the connection will just drop.

I do not have this problem on my M2 MacBook Air, so this is a machine-specific issue--not related to the VPN or my account, etc.

I have tried doing a clean reinstall of the FortiClient software, and still experience this problem.

I installed the FortiClient software exactly the same way I installed it on my MacBook Air, so there shouldn't be an issue with configurations or access to directories and so on.

Can anyone think of anything to test? Is it possible to run the VPN in Safe Mode on a Mac? The only other software running during an active connection is the usual stuff--Safari, Mail, Pages, etc. There isn't any resource-intensive process running that might interfere with the connection.

I use Microsoft Remote Desktop for the VPN connection. I don't think this is what's causing the issue, but any input welcome.

Well it seems it is related to either your VPN or account on that specific machine.

Have you tried your "work" IT Department for tech support with their recommended VPN...(?)

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus and compare your results.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2023 3:59 AM in response to RKNYC

RKNYC wrote:

Well it seems it is related to either your VPN or account on that specific machine.

Have you tried your "work" IT Department for tech support with their recommended VPN...(?)

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus and compare your results.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Jan 20, 2023 2:19 PM in response to RKNYC

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

FortiClient VPN connection drops-machine specific

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.