You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage NOT syncing across iPhone and MacBook Air AGAIN

This topic has been around for two years, only my problem is not exactly the same.

My MacBook Air stopped showing certain Messages that do appear in Messages on my iPhone.

About 8 out of 10 Messages DO sync across both devices.

Those few that appear on my iPhone and do NOT appear on my Mac had no problem a few months ago, but now it's a problem.

So, it's not across both devices for all Messages, just a handful.

I tried all the tricks described in the original thread with this question, to no avail.

Robert

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 3:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 11:55 PM

Hi

Your linked article sums up all steps one must take to sync, but my specific problem is not solved by taking these steps.

I realized that the problem started after I had upgraded to macOS Ventura 13.1. A few (very important ones) of many of my messages show on my iPhone and not on my MacBook Air. It's annoying, because when I work with my Mac on a website and wait for an OTP to continue, it shows on my iPhone and not on my Mac.

BTW, my iOS version is the latest, 16.2

Maybe this, perhaps not a big problem for everybody, will get solved in a next upgrade.

Robert

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2023 11:55 PM in response to SnickZ.

Hi

Your linked article sums up all steps one must take to sync, but my specific problem is not solved by taking these steps.

I realized that the problem started after I had upgraded to macOS Ventura 13.1. A few (very important ones) of many of my messages show on my iPhone and not on my MacBook Air. It's annoying, because when I work with my Mac on a website and wait for an OTP to continue, it shows on my iPhone and not on my Mac.

BTW, my iOS version is the latest, 16.2

Maybe this, perhaps not a big problem for everybody, will get solved in a next upgrade.

Robert

Jan 18, 2023 11:09 PM in response to UTBadger

Thanks for your elaborate answer.

Every single item I have already set.

Overall, I have no problems with syncing Messages between iPhone and Mac, and vice versa.

The strange issue is that two important contacts do no longer sync with my Mac and are only visible on my iPhone. Those two synced fine before. Last one was on Jan 11. But the messages of those two of the past days do not sync to my Mac.

I have switched everything off where possible, restarted my Mac, and switched on again. To no avail.

Strange, but true.

I must say that I upgraded to Ventura a few days ago. Could that be the reason?

All the best,

Robert

Jan 21, 2023 1:08 AM in response to Brandon_J_321

Hi

Thanks for all the advice.

The suggested steps I have already taken and they don't solve the problem. They relate to syncing

overall, but my problem regards a handful of messages that don't sync, whilst most do.

The problem started on Jan 11 when I upgraded to macOS Ventura 13.1. I see the messages from those senders that do not sync between my iPhone and MacBook Air now but are all in my Messages history on my Mac prior to Jan 11.

I hope this is a problem that will be solved with the next upgrade.

ATB, Robert

Jan 18, 2023 12:38 PM in response to chaver

Hey chaver,

We'd be happy to help out. From your post it's not clear whether the messages not syncing are SMS or iMessages. If they are SMS though, you might have an issue with text message forwarding between your iPhone and your Mac. To fix this, be sure this is enabled under Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding and enable it for your Mac. This is outlined further here: Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

If these are iMessages, make sure Messages in iCloud is enabled on both devices correctly:

Set up iCloud for Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
2. Do one of the following:
• iOS 16, iPadOS 16, or later: Tap Show All, tap Messages, then turn on Sync this [device].
The Messages screen in iCloud settings. Sync this iPhone is turned on.
• iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or earlier: Turn on Messages.
Any messages currently stored in iCloud are now accessible on your device, and any new messages you receive on your device will be stored in iCloud.
3. To make sure you can see your messages on all your devices, also check the following:
• iMessage account: On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Make sure that you’re signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID. You can choose which email addresses and phone numbers you want to send and receive messages from on each device.
• Text message forwarding: If you want to receive SMS and MMS messages on all your devices, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone. Turn on text message forwarding for each device. For more information, see the Apple Support article How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac.
4. To see messages stored in iCloud, open the Messages app.
For more information on how to use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, see any of the following:
• iPhone User Guide: Send and receive messages on iPhone and Collaborate on projects with Messages on iPhone
• iPad User Guide: Send and receive messages on iPad and Collaborate on projects with Messages on iPad
• iPod touch User Guide (iOS 15 or earlier): Send and receive text messages on iPod touch

Set up iCloud for Messages on your Mac
1. In the Messages app on your Mac, do one of the following:
• macOS Ventura: Choose Messages > Settings, click iMessage, then select Enable Messages in iCloud.
• macOS 12 or earlier: Choose Messages > Preferences, click iMessage, then select Enable Messages in iCloud.
2. Select which email addresses and phone numbers you want to send and receive messages from on your Mac.
Any messages currently stored in iCloud are now accessible on your Mac, and any new messages you receive on your Mac will be stored in iCloud.
Note: If you want to see SMS and MMS messages on your Mac, see the Apple Support article How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac.
3. To see Messages stored in iCloud, open the Messages app.
Note: If you want to turn off Messages in iCloud on your Mac, deselect Enable Messages in iCloud. You can choose to disable Messages in iCloud for all your devices, or just your Mac.

For more information on how to use Messages on your Mac, see the Send a message on Mac.

This is outlined further here: Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

We hope this helps out. If you continue to have issues though, contact Apple here: Get Support

Take care!

Jan 19, 2023 10:42 AM in response to chaver

Hi chaver,

Since you mentioned that two of the contacts available on your iPhone aren’t syncing to your Mac as well, try the steps in this article to get them syncing again: If your iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders won’t sync - Apple Support If they sync with your Mac, see if one of them can send you a message.

You mentioned your Mac recently being updated, is your iPhone also up to date? The latest available is iOS 16.2. You can confirm what version is currently installed on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > About.

If an update is needed, you can do the following:

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
  2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
  3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
  4. Tap Install Now. 

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Take Care!

Jan 20, 2023 9:09 AM in response to chaver

Hello chaver,

Thanks for updating us with this information and clarifying that for us. We understand you've taken some great steps already to try to clear this up, but let's check Text Message Forwarding once more on your iPhone and MacBook Air. We'll include the steps below to check this quickly, and you can find more details here: Set up iPhone to get SMS messages on Mac - Apple Support

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages.

2. Tap Text Message Forwarding.

Note: If you don’t see Text Message Forwarding, make sure you’re signed in to iMessage using the same Apple ID on both your iPhone and your Mac.

3. Turn on your Mac in the list of devices.

4. If you’re not using two-factor authentication, a six-digit activation code appears on your Mac; enter this code on your iPhone, then tap Allow.

If you're still unable to receive the forwarded message, confirm with the provider if this may be blocked on their end. If this isn't affected by your provider, contact Apple Support directly to check into this with you in more detail.

Have a great day!

iMessage NOT syncing across iPhone and MacBook Air AGAIN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.