Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Quicktime Player to Screen Record with Audio?

Hello all, I am trying to use Quicktime player to record my screen with audio for like recording youtube video or webinars, not for any microphone usage. Running Mojave.

I have tried setting up Soundflower and blackhole options based off of videos on youtube but they do not work. I am trying to follow this tutorial but it does not work:

How to record the screen on your Mac - Apple Support

So can anyone tell me if you can use Quicktime on your machine for this with success and if yes, can I trouble you to advise or give me a screenshot of your sound settings so I can try mimicking it on my end please?

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 1:58 PM

Record a screen video with sound

To capture the output sound you need to install third-party software. I recommend the tool Background Music. To install either

After installation, in Screen Recording you will see an option for Mikrophone called Background Music. If you choose this option, the screen recording will also capture the System output audio.

Choose Background Music as Microphone in the Options menu to record System output audio.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 1:58 PM in response to mikehende

Record a screen video with sound

To capture the output sound you need to install third-party software. I recommend the tool Background Music. To install either

After installation, in Screen Recording you will see an option for Mikrophone called Background Music. If you choose this option, the screen recording will also capture the System output audio.

Choose Background Music as Microphone in the Options menu to record System output audio.

Jan 18, 2023 12:44 PM in response to mikehende

Hello mikehende,

This may occur if you've downloaded third-party apps and changed your settings.

According to the resource you mentioned: How to record the screen on your Mac

Use QuickTime Player

1. Open QuickTime Player from your Applications folder, then choose File > New Screen Recording from the menu bar. 

- If you see the onscreen controls described above, follow those steps.

- If you see the Screen Recording window described below, follow those steps.

2. Before starting your recording, you can click the arrow next to the Record button  to change the recording settings:

QuickTime screen recording settings

- To record your voice or other audio with the screen recording, choose a microphone. To monitor that audio during recording, adjust the volume slider. If you get audio feedback, lower the volume or use headphones with a microphone.

- To show a black circle around your pointer when you click, choose Show Mouse Clicks in Recording.

3. To start recording, click the Record button  and then take one of these actions:

- Click anywhere on the screen to begin recording the entire screen.

- Or drag to select an area to record, then click Start Recording within that area.

4. To stop recording, click the Stop button  in the menu bar, or press Command-Control-Esc (Escape).

5. After you stop recording, QuickTime Player automatically opens the recording. You can now play, edit, or share the recording.

Learn more

- The Screenshot toolbar is available in macOS Mojave or later.
- When saving your recording automatically, your Mac uses the name ”Screen Recording date at time.mov”.
- To cancel making a recording, press the Esc key before clicking to record.
- You can open screen recordings with QuickTime Player, iMovie, and other apps that can edit or view videos.
- Some apps might not let you record their windows.
- Learn how to record the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

We underlined the important information. Recording your screen may not work with some apps or windows. And you'd need to adjust your volume on the Mac in order to record the audio along with the screen recording or we'd suggest using headphones. Keep in mind, you may need to remove the third-party apps you installed and restart the Mac normally in order for these steps to work successfully.

Let us know if this helps out, take care.

Jan 20, 2023 6:09 AM in response to BDAqua

Wow, this option works great BDAqua. I had to choose the "Background Music" option instead btw, not the UI Sounds. Thank you very much for the help guys!!

Only one issue I am seeing but I can live with it. Quicktime Player is not giving me the option to resize or drag the recording area, it's showing a default area like 2/3 of my entire screen. When I move the mouse outside of and close to the shaded area the usual 2-direction arrow to drag is not there, any fixes for this please?

Using Quicktime Player to Screen Record with Audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.