Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken earphone jack

Hi all

My kids use an old IPad 5th gen for games and to watch stuff and there was an audio splitter connected so they could both use headphones at same time, until the splitter broke and left the plug in the iPad.

so obviously the iPad thinks that headphones are still connected and try as I may I cannot manage to get the broken plug out so I can’t manage to get audio out of the speakers whatsoever I do. I even saw a really good video about putting a bit of glue on the inside of a biro inner tube to stick to the broken plug but that hasn’t worked either.

so I was wondering if there is anyway to manually make the iPad speakers override the audio.

This link suggests that it was possible but the instructions don’t work for me so I’m presuming the functionality may have changed.

https://getnotifyr.com/how-to-select-speaker-output-over-headphones-on-ipad/#:~:text=Go%20to%20Settings%20%3E%20Sounds.,So%2C%20there%20you%20have%20it!

does anyone have any bright ideas please about how I can get the speakers back in use?

Thanks so much

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 12:57 PM

The 3.5mm jack has a hardware switch that directs audio to the connected headphones. This cannot be bypassed by software or settings.

You would be best advised to entrust removal of the broken 3.5mm plug to the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP). The technicians have access to appropriate tools to extract the broken plug without damage to the iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Removal of the plug will obviously resolve the current issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2023 12:57 PM in response to Craighudds

The 3.5mm jack has a hardware switch that directs audio to the connected headphones. This cannot be bypassed by software or settings.

You would be best advised to entrust removal of the broken 3.5mm plug to the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP). The technicians have access to appropriate tools to extract the broken plug without damage to the iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Removal of the plug will obviously resolve the current issue.

Broken earphone jack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.