Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Markup in Photos in Ventura 13

Using Markup in Photos (8.) and Ventura 13.1. Until a moment ago, Markup worked perfectly. With subsequent image Markup Text box immediately flipped upside down when I tried to enter text. I can enter text but it is turned over. I cannot find the tool to keep the text box as intended. Please advise.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 4:34 PM

Just ran a test and the text in Photos comes up correctly but the justification is reversed. Left justification put the text to the right side and Right put it to the left size.. That's better than upside down.

As the King of Siam says: 'Tis a puzzlement".

Similar questions

10 replies

Jan 18, 2023 11:11 AM in response to Pr N

This sound similar to the problem some users are reporting with Preview. So far I've not seen a solution for their problem.

However you can try the following in order as needed:

1 - as a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread. If the problem is gone open your original library and test gain.

2 - create and log into a new, basic, admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Note:  do not launch any 3rd party apps in the account so as to not install any of the supporting files that most create.

If the problem is gone then your original account has software installed that is causing the problem.  

3 - boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jan 18, 2023 8:41 AM in response to Pr N

Man, I haven't seen this since November, I think. I thought it was fixed. Here is a suggestion from Scott-he-him:

"I added a text box using Markup then added text. The text was backward and upside down. Next, I held down Option while moving the text box. After I did that, the text returned to normal orientation. "

That's from this discussion:

Photo mark up text back to front - Apple Community

Jan 18, 2023 7:34 PM in response to Old Toad

Tried # 1. Markup worked or didn't work inconsistently, that is, on some images the text box behaved erratically (sometime immediately flipping, sometimes flipping when I tried entering text, sometimes blanking out entirely). On other images Markup worked perfectly, allowing me to enter text and move the box, etc.

This was also the case when I returned to my original Photos library. I determined that behavior was not limited to certain camera or import or other data. Within the same time frame, i.e. images taken on the same date with the same camera and imported to Photos on the same evening, various images displayed good and imperfect Markup behavior.

I first began using Markup only within the past few days, and my initial use went flawlessly. Only yesterday and today when trying to enter Markup on an otherwise not perviously attempted image did Markup flip its lid!

I open to your suggestions. (I did not attempt your Option 2 & 3). N

Jan 19, 2023 12:00 AM in response to Pr N

As a work-around, while we are waiting for a bug fix, you could try to use the menu "Image > Edit with", then select Preview to open the image directly from Photos. After preview opens go to the "View" menu and add the editing tools (or use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘A to open them).

This will give you similar options to markup the image. So far I have not noticed any flipped text boxes in Preview.

Jan 20, 2023 12:16 PM in response to léonie

Thank you so much, Leonie! After my learning curve, I saved your instructions on an image, including to be sure to Save in Preview, which saves also in Photos. I still find it peculiar that in Photos the Edit, Markup system works in some images and not in others. It adds an extra step to do so in Preview, but it's not onerous. Thanks for your help.

Using Markup in Photos in Ventura 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.