Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to avoid "Pop up helps"

when I click my mouse on/in any app or even creating a document, I constantly get pop ups like: Open Link in new tab, or back, reload page or save page as is, print page, etc.

takes several clicks to remove them so I can proceed with what I'm doing. becoming extremely,ely aggravating.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 10:15 AM

Like this?:

If so, that is normal—a contextual menu (that example is gray because my computer is in Dark Mode). At default mouse settings It is activated by a right-click, or by holding CONTROL while clicking.

If restarting the computer does not change this, try:

First, see if something on your desk is holding down the CONTROL key on your keyboard. That has happens here before.

Second, go to System Preferences > Mouse and see if changing the setting for "Secondary Click" helps.

The worst case—I had a client suffer this—is the the keyboard's CONTROL key is stuck in the DOWN position. Most newer Apple keyboards cannot be opened for cleaning or maintenance so you may need a new keyboard. My client had spilled a sugary drink a few days before and thought he'd cleaned everything up. Nope. The syrupy remains of the drink turned to glue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 10:15 AM in response to DnD8851

Like this?:

If so, that is normal—a contextual menu (that example is gray because my computer is in Dark Mode). At default mouse settings It is activated by a right-click, or by holding CONTROL while clicking.

If restarting the computer does not change this, try:

First, see if something on your desk is holding down the CONTROL key on your keyboard. That has happens here before.

Second, go to System Preferences > Mouse and see if changing the setting for "Secondary Click" helps.

The worst case—I had a client suffer this—is the the keyboard's CONTROL key is stuck in the DOWN position. Most newer Apple keyboards cannot be opened for cleaning or maintenance so you may need a new keyboard. My client had spilled a sugary drink a few days before and thought he'd cleaned everything up. Nope. The syrupy remains of the drink turned to glue.

how to avoid "Pop up helps"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.