Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari

How do I uninstall Safari? It keeps popping up and I do not use Safari as my browser.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 9:42 AM

Safari is built in to the operating system, and cannot be removed.

If you don't use it, how does it keep popping up? What are you doing when it pops up?

Have you set the Default Browser to whatever you use instead of Safari?

System Settings ➜ Desktop and Dock ➜ Default Web Browser

3 replies

Jan 18, 2023 10:08 AM in response to Phil0124

Yes, it's set to Firefox. I can be in any app, Word, Excel, Outlook, Firefox, and a Safari browser window pops up showing Favorites, Frequently Visited (which is empty), Privacy Report, and sometimes Extensions. I have to keep uninstalling extensions -- Skill Gem is one. Occasionally, like when I was just drafting this response to you, Firefox shuts down and I have to relaunch. This must have all loaded with my last update to Ventura 13.1.

Jan 18, 2023 12:28 PM in response to SherpaSuzy

Sounds like you are clicking on something that is bringing up Safari. Or doing something that is closing down other things like firefox.

If you have safari on the dock, you can drag it off the dock to remove it so you don't accidentally click on it.

Beyond that pressing certain key combinations on the keyboard will shut down apps. things like Command + W fr instance.

Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.