Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A website in its own window shows up whenever I start Safari. I can't get rid of it.

A website in its own window shows up whenever I start Safari. I can't get rid of it. How do I stop a website from opening in Safari whenever I start up Safari?

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 8:55 AM

You can clear Safari's history (read below), and also try starting Safari while holding a Shift key. That action launches Safari with no previously opened windows. You should only need to do that once (not every time).

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If the problem continues to occur please write back.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2022 8:55 AM in response to scott122

You can clear Safari's history (read below), and also try starting Safari while holding a Shift key. That action launches Safari with no previously opened windows. You should only need to do that once (not every time).

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If the problem continues to occur please write back.

Jul 7, 2022 9:51 AM in response to scott122

👍

Clearing Safari's history will not delete your passwords though. Even if you were to clear Safari's cookies and website data (below), that doesn't delete passwords either. You would simply need to log in again to sites that log you in automatically.

Manage cookies and website data in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Even Safari's password autofill will continue to work:

Change AutoFill preferences in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Jul 7, 2022 9:41 AM in response to John Galt

Not wanting to clear Safari's history, because I thought I'd have to enter all my passwords again, I went to Apple Support and had them call me about a problem with Apple applications: Safari. The called back in one minute. A very knowledgeable woman told me to do the following:

Go to System Preferences in the Black Apple

Choose Mouse

Click the box next to Secondary click to activate the right click on my mouse

Go back to Safari and Right click on the problem website's icon

Unblock "Pin Tab"

Quit Safari and restart it. Voila! No little red box when Safari starts.

A website in its own window shows up whenever I start Safari. I can't get rid of it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.