Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flat surface and silicon macbook

Hello everybody,

I recently bought the 2020, M1 MacBook Air and as you know it doesn't have fans. ( I was stunned when I finally realized it)

I don't experience overheating but the other day when I was playing a video game it heated up a little bit.

Now it was on my lap on the bed so I thought that was why but I realize if it doesn't have vents does it even make a difference where i keep the macbook?

Do I need to put it on a flat surface when I play video games ? Since there are no fans, I don't know if that would change anything or prevent overheating.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 4:59 PM

Absent wrapping the Mac in a blanket, it’ll cool itself.

Apple silicon generates less heat, the Mac uses the case as part of its cooling, and If the Mac starts to overheat it’ll detect that and will throttle performance to reduce production of heat, and if the Mac finds itself in a thermal overload it’ll shut itself down.

Which is a lot of words to say that you should just go use it.

Inside the following ambient temperature range, the Mac will manage thermals itself: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 4:59 PM in response to margencolva

Absent wrapping the Mac in a blanket, it’ll cool itself.

Apple silicon generates less heat, the Mac uses the case as part of its cooling, and If the Mac starts to overheat it’ll detect that and will throttle performance to reduce production of heat, and if the Mac finds itself in a thermal overload it’ll shut itself down.

Which is a lot of words to say that you should just go use it.

Inside the following ambient temperature range, the Mac will manage thermals itself: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

Flat surface and silicon macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.