Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best way for Battery charge on M1 max macbook pro (?)

What is the best way to charge the battery? Is it better to plug in at 20% and unplug at 80% or its better to unplug it at 100%? i use the macbook all day and im ok with the 20%-80% for now but its good to know what is the best way, if its better to charge it full at 100% every time ( the days that i work more hours i charge it full ) the question is for the normal every day use

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 6:44 AM

antonisx93 wrote:

What is the best way to charge the battery? Is it better to plug in at 20% and unplug at 80% or its better to unplug it at 100%? i use the macbook all day and im ok with the 20%-80% for now but its good to know what is the best way, if its better to charge it full at 100% every time ( the days that i work more hours i charge it full ) the question is for the normal every day use

The rule of thumb— if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on battery only.

This is how you reduce cycle count and extend the working life of your battery.

The built in Battery Health Management does the rest— you do not have to micro-manage the battery charging.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks— introduced in macOS 10.15.5

The BHM software learns as it goes, use your mac as you normally would use it.

w/ silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2023 6:44 AM in response to antonisx93

antonisx93 wrote:

The rule of thumb— if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on battery only.

This is how you reduce cycle count and extend the working life of your battery.

The built in Battery Health Management does the rest— you do not have to micro-manage the battery charging.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks— introduced in macOS 10.15.5

The BHM software learns as it goes, use your mac as you normally would use it.

w/ silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

Jan 19, 2023 7:38 AM in response to antonisx93

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device. (It is NOT an iPhone.)

Your computer performs best when connected to AC power. It can use the full output of the Power Adapter AND when doing especially challenging work will also freely "borrow" power from the battery. In some cases, even with the power adapter connected, the charged state may even decline during stressful work.

When used only on battery, your computer has no extra cushion of power, and may perform more slowly. However, for ordinary non-stressful tasks this may not be objectionable (possibly not even noticeable.)

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which could be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

Your MacBook Pro uses ‘smart charging’ to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues. Simply asserting a charging voltage against one of the interface(s) will NOT successfully charge your MacBook Pro.

best way for Battery charge on M1 max macbook pro (?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.