Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac won’t boot. Did I kill it?

I was attempting to reset my iMac to give it to someone else, but after erasing the drive, I couldn’t get it to reinstall the OS (High Sierra). So I created a USB boot disk but couldn’t get it to boot off the USB.

I would get the Utilities menu. Trying to install from the Internet got me an error that the disk was locked. I had no time machine for this one. I tried to erase the disk again using the disk utility but it would just give me an error that the erase failed.

I’m not sure what I did the last time through, but now it won’t boot at all and just gives me a screen with a flashing folder icon with a question mark.

I just tried the solution suggested by Apple with no success and they recommend bringing it in for service.

Is there anything else I can do? For example, is there a way I could reformat the dead drive using my functioning computer - maybe with an ethernet cable? If I removed the hard drive would I be able to connect it as an external drive and reformat it that way?

I don’t know how much Apple would charge to service it, but I suspect if would cost more than the unit is worth.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 2:10 PM

DeweesL wrote:

It makes the start up noise then it pauses for a few moments before it shows an icon of a folder with a question mark inside.

Make sure to use a wired USB keyboard to access the special startup keys since a wireless keyboard won't go ready soon enough. If the iMac cannot connect to the Internet when attempting to boot into Internet Recovery Mode, then it will attempt to boot from any other bootable drive....if unsuccessful in finding any bootable drive you will get the blinking folder with question mark.

How did you attempt to create the bootable macOS USB installer? Here is an Apple article with instructions, but it requires access to another Qualifying Mac:

https://support.apple.com/HT201372

A Qualifying Mac is one which is compatible with the OS installer you are trying to create (the Qualifying Mac can be running any OS though). See this article for showing which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

If you don't have access to a Qualifying Mac, then you can try using DiskMaker X on any Mac which is compatible with the DiskMaker X software.

You need to use a wired USB keyboard to access the Mac's special startup keys in order to Option Boot the iMac to access the bootable USB installer.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 2:10 PM in response to DeweesL

DeweesL wrote:

It makes the start up noise then it pauses for a few moments before it shows an icon of a folder with a question mark inside.

Make sure to use a wired USB keyboard to access the special startup keys since a wireless keyboard won't go ready soon enough. If the iMac cannot connect to the Internet when attempting to boot into Internet Recovery Mode, then it will attempt to boot from any other bootable drive....if unsuccessful in finding any bootable drive you will get the blinking folder with question mark.

How did you attempt to create the bootable macOS USB installer? Here is an Apple article with instructions, but it requires access to another Qualifying Mac:

https://support.apple.com/HT201372

A Qualifying Mac is one which is compatible with the OS installer you are trying to create (the Qualifying Mac can be running any OS though). See this article for showing which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

If you don't have access to a Qualifying Mac, then you can try using DiskMaker X on any Mac which is compatible with the DiskMaker X software.

You need to use a wired USB keyboard to access the Mac's special startup keys in order to Option Boot the iMac to access the bootable USB installer.

Jan 19, 2023 1:17 PM in response to DeweesL

They may not even work on it.

Which of the 3 methods did you use?

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

2. Decide whether to erase (format) your disk

If you need to erase your disk before installing macOS, select Disk Utility from the Utilities window, then click Continue. You probably don't need to erase, unless you're selling or giving away your Mac or have an issue that requires you to erase. Learn more about when and how to erase.

3. Install macOS

After starting up from macOS Recovery, follow these steps to install macOS:

1. Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the Utilities window.
  2. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions to choose your disk and begin installation.
  3. If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac. If it doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk

1. Please allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. During installation, your Mac might restart and show a progress bar several times, and the screen might be empty for minutes at a time.

If your Mac restarts to a setup assistant, but you're selling or giving it away, press Command-Q to quit the assistant without completing setup. Then click Shut Down. When the new owner starts up the Mac, they can use their own information to complete setup.

If you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4

If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never installed on your Mac, macOS Recovery works differently:

• Command-R is still the recommended way to start up from macOS Recovery. This combination makes sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID, which is important if you're selling or giving away your Mac.
  • Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
  • Shift-Option-Command-R isn't available.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support 

Jan 19, 2023 8:08 PM in response to BDAqua

It makes the start up noise then it pauses for a few moments before it shows an icon of a folder with a question mark inside. This is the link to what Apple says to do and it says I should bring it in for service. I think I can create a bootable DVD with the High Sierra installer package, if there’s any chance it would work

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204323

Jan 19, 2023 9:01 PM in response to DeweesL

Yes, chance.

Also might install an OS to an external drive.

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Jan 19, 2023 9:10 PM in response to DeweesL

DeweesL Said:

"IMac won’t boot. Did I kill it?: I was attempting to reset my iMac to give it to someone else, but after erasing the drive, I couldn’t get it to reinstall the OS (High Sierra). So I created a USB boot disk but couldn’t get it to boot off the USB.[...]"

-------

For reference...

Troubleshooting MacBook Pro Power:

As for replacing that battery, that may not be necessary. Try troubleshooting it.

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Applies to Intel-Based Macs: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Jan 24, 2023 5:07 AM in response to DeweesL

Thanks to all who responded. The winner was the suggestion to use a wired keyboard. Seems like a bit of a glitch in the system. Most people use wireless today.

This is an old system, I wonder if I wanted to do it with one of the latest versions if it would recognize the wireless keyboard.

Again, thanks for all of your help! Now I need to figure out how to mark this discussion as closed/answered

IMac won’t boot. Did I kill it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.