Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible user account problem: certain apps crashing as soon s they are opened (Anki, OneDrive)

Hello,

Mac mini M1 2020

macOS Ventura 13.1

I'm having trouble working out why certain apps are crashing (OneDrive quit unexpectedly) when I am trying to open them and possible solutions; I've done a bit of research first but not sure about which would be the best way to go about it. It is affecting at least 2 apps that I have noticed so far, so hopefully having two reports will make it easier to diagnose? Maybe not...

It's only affecting OneDrive and Anki so far, as far as I know they are both Apple Silicon apps and it doesn't matter if they're from the App Store or not (Anki is not on the App Store, but I have tried the version of OneDrive from the Microsoft webpage after uninstalling the App Store version)

I have tried to open them in a Guest account and they work just fine. I also created another user account and again, just fine. At first, anyway! They also crash on other accounts, seemingly if I am logged in to the original account at the same time (though I need to test and see if this is the case, or if it is after some time or something like that)

Another possibility could be that I logged into my iCloud on the second account - could the culprit file be being uploaded from the cloud once I log in to and sync iCloud stuff? This would apply to the second account and not the guest account, though, I assume - and I have reproduced it in the guest account when I haven't logged out of the main account.

I've tried First Aid in Disk Utility in recovery mode, no change.

I'm torn between a few different options I found:

• Finding the bad preference file. I'm guessing this is the most difficult option, but was wondering if the reports held any clues (as I am clueless as to how to see what the problem is)
  • I also read something about creating a new account and moving or deleting certain files in safe mode so that a setup comes up at login for the new account, but no idea where I found this now (!)
  • Deleting cache files in safe mode (seems to be ill advised so haven't done this)
  • I used to have a Samsung T7 constantly connected for Time Machine backups, but unfortunately I haven't done that in a long time, so if I go for that route the backup will be pretty old.
  • Erase and reinstall MacOS. I think most of my files are in iCloud anyway, I could just back the rest up via that perhaps. But obv the last option to try.

I have a few apps that run in the background or run all the time like Karabiner Elements, itsycal, Garmin Express, Wacom tablet preferences, was wondering if any of these could cause a problem.

Also got Google Drive, OneDrive and iCloud on the same account. Could that cause issues?

I'm only guessing that the user account is to blame - maybe there is just a problem with these two apps, though Googling doesn't seem to come up with anyone with the same problem.

Thanks in avance for any help or advice.

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 5:36 AM

Well, never found out what was causing it, but I kept the new account, copied any files I needed over to iCloud and deleted the original account. Now everything is good. Would have been great to know what I did/what happened to cause apps to crash though!

Solved(ish).

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 19, 2023 12:53 PM in response to rh15dec

Just logged out of all accounts and back in; can confirm that they seem to work on the second account if I am not logged into my main account. I mean it's been a couple of minutes, but they open without crashing.

Could I just somehow back up the other user account and transfer it to the new one, or would it transfer over any problem files/apps??

Possible user account problem: certain apps crashing as soon s they are opened (Anki, OneDrive)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.