Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo library multiple clouds

At the moment my husband and I share one cloud so all our devices and IMac sync to one photo library. He is now taking a lot of nature photos that we would like synced to another photo library. So we are thinking of (I) using his own appleid so his photos are sent to his own cloud and (II) using a shared photolibrary/cloud so the photos he selects are sent to our combined library.

We have family sharing also so only pay for storage once.

my question is about our MaC. I will have my personal library and our shared library synced to our computer. For my husband’s personal library which will be on his own cloud and cloud is, can I also connect that to our Mac so he can access and edit his photos from the iMac? Is it possible to have different photo libraries on one Mac synced to different clouds?

thanks!

iMac

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 8:43 AM

Yes, but for ease of use the libraries should in in separate user accounts on the Mac. That way your husband doesn't have to log out of the joint Apple ID and log into his Apple ID whenever he wants to use the nature library.

With fast user switching he can easily log into the other user account which is already logged into his own Apple/iCloud account and use the library there.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 8:43 AM in response to Anglaisefrancaise

Yes, but for ease of use the libraries should in in separate user accounts on the Mac. That way your husband doesn't have to log out of the joint Apple ID and log into his Apple ID whenever he wants to use the nature library.

With fast user switching he can easily log into the other user account which is already logged into his own Apple/iCloud account and use the library there.

Jan 20, 2023 9:24 AM in response to Anglaisefrancaise

OT is right. You will need two separate user accounts on the Mac. For each user account you can only have one System Photos Library, and only the System Photos Library can sync with iCloud Photos. It will be synced with the AppleID that is set up in the System Preferences/Settings.

The Shared iCloud Photos Library is agreed new feature, but you should be aware, that only the photos and videos will be shared to the Shared iCloud Photos Library, not the albums and folders. It will help, if you tag the photos for each album you want to share with the album name as the keyword. This way you will be able to recreate the albums shared to you as smart albums with the smart rule "Keyword is ...".

photo library multiple clouds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.