Shared iCloud Photo Library on Mac with Big Sur

I have a shared iCloud Photo Library that works well to share photos with my partner on both our iPad and iPhones. I do not seem to be able to access the shared library on either mine or my partners profiles on our rather ancient iMac that (can only) run Big Sur 11. Is there something I am missing or is it not possible to access shared photo library on Big Sur?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 8:31 AM

For requirements for a shared photo library, see the following from: How to use iCloud Shared Photo Library - Apple Support

To set up a Shared Library, you need a device with iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16.1, or macOS Ventura or later with iCloud Photos turned on. If you're under 13, you can only join or create a Shared Library with members of your Family Sharing group.*

and

To join a Shared Library, you need a device with iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16.1, or macOS Ventura or later with iCloud Photos turned on. If you're under 13, you can only join or create a Shared Library with members of your Family Sharing group.*

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2023 8:31 AM in response to tiriana

For requirements for a shared photo library, see the following from: How to use iCloud Shared Photo Library - Apple Support

To set up a Shared Library, you need a device with iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16.1, or macOS Ventura or later with iCloud Photos turned on. If you're under 13, you can only join or create a Shared Library with members of your Family Sharing group.*

and

To join a Shared Library, you need a device with iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16.1, or macOS Ventura or later with iCloud Photos turned on. If you're under 13, you can only join or create a Shared Library with members of your Family Sharing group.*

Dec 4, 2023 1:36 AM in response to tiriana

There is a work around. By installing Open Core Legacy Patcher on older hardware you can upgrade your Big Sur Mac to Ventura or later to be able to use this feature. Especially machines post 2012 fitted with SSD run the newest OS's in een decent speed. And with almost all features. It's not really hard to do actually

Shared iCloud Photo Library on Mac with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.