Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple photos stuck at "O photos scanned"

I moved all my pictures collection to apple photos a few months ago.

I have about 30k pictures in my main system library, 100% synchronized with iCloud.

Pictures and library are on an external drive.

Why is photos still stuck with "0 photos scanned" for face recognition ?

It seems that I am not the only one to experience the issue, and have not seen a credible answer and workaround so far...

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 7:35 AM

Photos is not updating the status information very frequently. For me, the message jumped from 0% to 100% after several weeks.

Just give Photos plenty of time to scan the library for faces, be keeping the Mac connected to power and not using Photos over night.

You may also want to check, if there are some videos or photos in your Photos Library, that cannot be processed by Photos, because they are in a legacy format, that is no longer supported on macOS 10.15 Catalina or later.

Any item you migrated from iPhoto or Aperture to Photos might still be using older video or image format, that could be blocking Photos from finishing the scan of your library. See for example this list for iMovie: About legacy media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 7:35 AM in response to t_vdb

Photos is not updating the status information very frequently. For me, the message jumped from 0% to 100% after several weeks.

Just give Photos plenty of time to scan the library for faces, be keeping the Mac connected to power and not using Photos over night.

You may also want to check, if there are some videos or photos in your Photos Library, that cannot be processed by Photos, because they are in a legacy format, that is no longer supported on macOS 10.15 Catalina or later.

Any item you migrated from iPhoto or Aperture to Photos might still be using older video or image format, that could be blocking Photos from finishing the scan of your library. See for example this list for iMovie: About legacy media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

Apple photos stuck at "O photos scanned"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.