Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS external monitor with very big slider

Hi, I bought an external 4K monitor, currently connected via USB-C to USB-C. I instantaneously noticed that there are differences in the interface, I notice it especially in the Finder where I see these huge side bars that in the built-in monitor instead are a simple vertical line, barely visible.

Can these be made visible as they are on the main monitor? You can see it in the screenshot attached.

Thank you

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 9:30 AM

6 replies

Jan 21, 2023 8:18 AM in response to crik91

crik91 wrote:

Hi, I bought an external 4K monitor, currently connected via USB-C to USB-C. I instantaneously noticed that there are differences in the interface, I notice it especially in the Finder where I see these huge side bars that in the built-in monitor instead are a simple vertical line, barely visible.

Can these be made visible as they are on the main monitor? You can see it in the screenshot attached.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/3a1e9ac5-c685-46c8-a418-34f768a9da6b

Thank you

Try List view and compare your results...

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

Organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 21, 2023 8:46 AM in response to crik91

What is the resolution of the external monitor compared to the MBP? It might be at a lower resolution thus making everything larger, including the dividers between the columns.

As a test boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and check to see if the issue persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Also have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

macOS external monitor with very big slider

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.