Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GOOGLE DEFAULT BROWSER

WHY WILL THE DEFAULT BROWSER SELECTION NOT WORK? AFTER CHOOSING GOOGLE THE DEFAULT REMAINS SAFARI. I WAS TOLD THAT APPLE IS WORKING ON THIS PROBLEM. DO WE KNOW WHEN IT WILL BE FIXED?

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 12:42 PM

16 replies

Jan 20, 2023 2:11 PM in response to RMSikeCom

have no issues using and changing from firefox to safari.

maybe a unique issue with google as most thing google on macos seem to be, in my humble opinion

nor do I have any issue changing from yahoo to google as search engine

this setup is the same for all 3 machine in my stable of machines, 2 with ventura 13.1 and 1 on high sierra

Jan 25, 2023 8:06 AM in response to dialabrain

For whatever reason, I could've sworn they would both open in the default browser by double clicking the item. As far as I could test (Mojave), .webarchive files always open by default in Safari, when double clicked.

.webarchive files do open in Firefox or other browsers further back, such as in Mojave. But now in Ventura, right clicking gives you no option but Safari.

If I drag and drop a .webarchive into an open Firefox window under Ventura, it asks me if I want to open the file in Safari, or save it. I tried save, but have no idea what that did. Firefox just came back to the blank page with no notice as to what it saved, or where. If I change the open with choice of Safari to Firefox, FF opens a new tab for the .webarchive, but displays nothing. Whatever Apple has done with .webarchive files since Mojave, they now only work in Safari. Couldn't tell you when they became exclusive to Safari.

So anyway, by fixing .weblock files to open in the default browser, everything is back to the way it last was.

Jan 25, 2023 2:18 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:

Sorry, but they do. I just did it earlier today. I had no issue at all opening .weblock or .webarchive files in Firefox.

Just to add, this was you that stated…

"If I drag and drop a .webarchive into an open Firefox window under Ventura, it asks me if I want to open the file in Safari, or save it.", which is exactly what Firefox will do when trying to open a .webarchive file in any version of macOS/OS X.

GOOGLE DEFAULT BROWSER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.