Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail quits immediately after opening on my iMac. anything I can do?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 9:03 PM

First, boot your Mac into Safe Mode. Instructions vary for different models:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If you have the problem after rebooting normally, then try starting Mail with the shift key held. If that works, look over the emails and try selecting them one at a time to find out which is the rogue email. If one of them makes Mail crash, then try again, eliminate temporarily the preview window, and then select and delete that email.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 9:03 PM in response to dgwc

First, boot your Mac into Safe Mode. Instructions vary for different models:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If you have the problem after rebooting normally, then try starting Mail with the shift key held. If that works, look over the emails and try selecting them one at a time to find out which is the rogue email. If one of them makes Mail crash, then try again, eliminate temporarily the preview window, and then select and delete that email.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.