Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod touch will connect to any device via Bluetooth but I am unable to get any sound when playing music. Can anybody please advise?

My ipod touch will connect to bluetooth devices but I can't hear audio

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 3:10 AM

What is the device that you are connecting to? (The Bluetooth on an iPod is designed to send audio to speakers, headphones and similar devices. It cannot send audio to other iPods, phones, iTunes or computers.) Have you previously heard audio from the iPod on the speaker/device that you are now connected to?

The Bluetooth setting on your iPod needs to indicate that it is connected to the speaker. If you rely on the speaker to tell you that it is connected, the speaker may in fact be connected to another device with which it is paired.

In addition to the above, if two devices are connected to the same speaker, you might find that the speaker can only play audio from one of the devices. One of my Bluetooth speakers is currently connected to both my iPod (6th gen) and to my Android phone. I'm listening to audio from the iPod. If I start music playing on the phone, it plays (I can see the run-time changing) but I do not hear any audio from my phone.

Note the difference between "paired" and "connected":

• Paired means that devices know about each other. Paired devices may not be currently connected, or even within range
    • Connected means that a paired device is currently connected for use. Audio can be transmitted from the iPod to the speaker

If all else fails:

• unpair the iPod and that "speaker". Then pair them again. Does that fix the issue?
    • make sure that no other devices are connected or trying to connect to the same speaker

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2023 3:10 AM in response to Edencrest55

What is the device that you are connecting to? (The Bluetooth on an iPod is designed to send audio to speakers, headphones and similar devices. It cannot send audio to other iPods, phones, iTunes or computers.) Have you previously heard audio from the iPod on the speaker/device that you are now connected to?

The Bluetooth setting on your iPod needs to indicate that it is connected to the speaker. If you rely on the speaker to tell you that it is connected, the speaker may in fact be connected to another device with which it is paired.

In addition to the above, if two devices are connected to the same speaker, you might find that the speaker can only play audio from one of the devices. One of my Bluetooth speakers is currently connected to both my iPod (6th gen) and to my Android phone. I'm listening to audio from the iPod. If I start music playing on the phone, it plays (I can see the run-time changing) but I do not hear any audio from my phone.

Note the difference between "paired" and "connected":

• Paired means that devices know about each other. Paired devices may not be currently connected, or even within range
    • Connected means that a paired device is currently connected for use. Audio can be transmitted from the iPod to the speaker

If all else fails:

• unpair the iPod and that "speaker". Then pair them again. Does that fix the issue?
    • make sure that no other devices are connected or trying to connect to the same speaker

Ipod touch will connect to any device via Bluetooth but I am unable to get any sound when playing music. Can anybody please advise?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.