Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration to new iMac OS 13.1

I just bought a new iMac with OS Ventura 13.1 and need to migrate all my data from a very old iMac 2013 model OS Catalina 10.15 to the new iMac 13.1 Ventura.

What are the steps to take and what is the best way to migrate all the data.

Thanks,

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 6:48 AM

It is best to use migration assistant

Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

5 replies

Jan 21, 2023 1:35 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for your input. I do have a question regarding connecting the Time Machine from the 2013 iMac to the new iMac running Ventura: Does the time machine include the "old" apps or only the data? I understand the new iMac is loaded with APPS of the Apple system, so all I would need to transfer is the data of each application?

Also how do I transfer the "bookmarks" of Safari and/or Firefox?

Since the Time Machine has ALL (supposedly) apps and data, do I migrate by simply dragging the data into the new iMac.

My issue is that I have not had to do a complete and large migration since acquiring the "old" iMac back in 2013 so I'm looking at TEN [10] years of stuff to transfer??

Jan 21, 2023 1:51 PM in response to WheelieNick

Does the Migration Assistant just transfer EVERYTHING in the backup? Does it transfer "old" apps and also the older OS of iMac, in this case OS Catalina 10.15. If the new iMac is a "clean" computer with already loaded apps, why can't I drag just the data of the old one into the new one, and leave behind the old apps?

I need a bit more help as this is the first "large" Migration I will do in TEN years

Jan 21, 2023 3:12 PM in response to rbfrank

Migration knows what to move, where to move it, what to leave behind and what to place into an incompatible folder.

If you want all of your photos, music, doc’s, data, settings, bookmarks, etc. properly moved to the new Mac, then you need to Migrate everything from TimeMachine during the initial setup.

Trust me, if you piece-mil you will have nothing but a big mess to cleanup.

Migration to new iMac OS 13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.