Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardrive transfer

What cable is best for transferring hardrive from my 2012 21.5 imac with no screen to my new Mac studio .thank you

iMac

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 9:53 AM

Migration to a new Mac:

Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Since Migration Assistant 'takes over' both computers, you will want to set this up late in the day and let it run overnight, and be ready for it not to be done by morning.

"the best way" is to use your Time machine backup from the old Mac as the source for Migration Assistant running on the new Mac. USB-2 is as fast as almost every Rotating Magnetic drive, and will not produce a noticeable slowdown doing this transfer.

The way that always works but is dog-slow is using Wi-Fi through your Router.

If you could use Ethernet through your Router to BOTH Macs, that would be much faster. OR, if your old Mac is running 10.12 Sierra or later it can establish an Ad-hoc private Wi-fi connection to the new Mac when placed near the new Mac and both running Migration Assistant.

If you old Mac has no Thunderbolt-3 ports, direct Thunderbolt Bridge is off the table.

A USB cord sounds like a great idea, but does not work because USB is a local peripheral interface, and a Network interface is required, unless you can make your old Mac "look like a drive' to the new Mac.

Target Disk Mode can allow your old Mac to become a Hard drive, and it can be cable-connected to the new Mac. It requires ThunderBolt cable connection, so you would need to obtain a Thunderbolt-3 <-> thunderBolt-2 adapter (US$50) and a Thunderbolt-2 cable.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 9:53 AM in response to michael2452

Migration to a new Mac:

Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Since Migration Assistant 'takes over' both computers, you will want to set this up late in the day and let it run overnight, and be ready for it not to be done by morning.

"the best way" is to use your Time machine backup from the old Mac as the source for Migration Assistant running on the new Mac. USB-2 is as fast as almost every Rotating Magnetic drive, and will not produce a noticeable slowdown doing this transfer.

The way that always works but is dog-slow is using Wi-Fi through your Router.

If you could use Ethernet through your Router to BOTH Macs, that would be much faster. OR, if your old Mac is running 10.12 Sierra or later it can establish an Ad-hoc private Wi-fi connection to the new Mac when placed near the new Mac and both running Migration Assistant.

If you old Mac has no Thunderbolt-3 ports, direct Thunderbolt Bridge is off the table.

A USB cord sounds like a great idea, but does not work because USB is a local peripheral interface, and a Network interface is required, unless you can make your old Mac "look like a drive' to the new Mac.

Target Disk Mode can allow your old Mac to become a Hard drive, and it can be cable-connected to the new Mac. It requires ThunderBolt cable connection, so you would need to obtain a Thunderbolt-3 <-> thunderBolt-2 adapter (US$50) and a Thunderbolt-2 cable.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

Jan 21, 2023 1:06 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Well I have a thunderbolt to thunderbolt cable I can use when my Mac studio arrives ,but today I tried to get a cable at best buy to connect my 2012 21.5 iMac to a monitor so I could update since it’s been down .but nobody at Best Buy in Reno knows much about macs .I should have gone to our Mac store ,they are great .But thank you very much for your help .I am going to wait for my Mac studio to arrive .I will post once I am in business .Thanks again ,have a great weekend .

Hardrive transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.