Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch battery sudden death underground due to excess cell power draw?

I have a series 4 watch with 85% battery health. I recently activated cellular service and now have had several crashes after a subway commute to my athletic center pool (which is 2 stories underground).

The problem is identical to what's described here — after a bit of time in a low cell service area (in that question it was rural, in mine it is underground in NYC) — the battery suddenly screams about low power, indicated less than 10 percent charge, and crashes. At least once when this happened, the watch later corrected the battery reading to about 65 percent upon returning to the surface.

My only guess is that there is some bad code here that is turning up the power on the cellular radio in a desperate attempt to reconnect, and that power draw spike is throwing the battery capacity calculation off causing everything to go haywire.

I will try the Airplane mode fix, but this is clearly a software issue that can and should be fixed.

update: This issue also seems to in play, the watch turning to its own cellular after the phone is left behind. The problem almost always happens right after I leave my phone behind in the locker room.

Apple Watch Series 4

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 8:12 AM

At 85% battery health, the battery is nearing its useful life end. If it is working hard to connect to cellular networks, it is working hard and the battery clearly can't handle the drain. Personally, I wouldn't invest any money in having the battery replaced in a Series 4 watch as it's getting old at this point. But you can schedule battery service on the watch if you don't want to invest in a new watch.

See this link if you want to spend money on your watch --> Apple Watch Service & Repair - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 8:12 AM in response to anthony287

At 85% battery health, the battery is nearing its useful life end. If it is working hard to connect to cellular networks, it is working hard and the battery clearly can't handle the drain. Personally, I wouldn't invest any money in having the battery replaced in a Series 4 watch as it's getting old at this point. But you can schedule battery service on the watch if you don't want to invest in a new watch.

See this link if you want to spend money on your watch --> Apple Watch Service & Repair - Apple Support

Watch battery sudden death underground due to excess cell power draw?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.