Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch battery dying in low cell service areas on workouts

This morning and many other times I've noticed my apple watch dies almost after 1-2 miles into a workout in rural areas even being at 100% charge. I've done all the normal things like keeping the watch and phone up to date. I've done all the normal things mentioned in almost every article you can find on the internet in searches so my question is do I need to turn on airplane mode so my watch will stop seeking a cell signal so my watch won't drain so fast on my runs in no cell service areas? This morning my watch was at 100% and even before I ran 1 mile my watch screamed at me that it was at 10%. The watch works perfectly fine in areas with good to decent cell service, it's just in rural areas with poor to no cell service.

I trail run and there is almost no cell service in those areas. If I can't use my watch to track those runs, then apple watches are practically useless. Any tips to fix this issue are appreciated.

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 2:34 PM

Well yes. BUT, I am now seeing this exact problem with a Series 4 and 85% battery health. This was not a problem for me just a few months ago. For context: I'm completing a 40-50 minute run. At the end of the run the watch will indicate 70% or higher battery life. I end the run and the watch immediately displays the "Power saving" mode message (with lightening bolt) then reboots. When it powers up again it indicates 10% battery health.

This was not a problem before (let's call it June/July) where I would complete my run and the watch would indicate up 80 to 85% battery remaining. Same course. Same run duration. And I've been doing this very same run for a few years now with the same watch.

Either the battery health indication is meaningless, there's some type of bug that's been introduced, or cellular reception as magically decreased.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 2:34 PM in response to lllaass

Well yes. BUT, I am now seeing this exact problem with a Series 4 and 85% battery health. This was not a problem for me just a few months ago. For context: I'm completing a 40-50 minute run. At the end of the run the watch will indicate 70% or higher battery life. I end the run and the watch immediately displays the "Power saving" mode message (with lightening bolt) then reboots. When it powers up again it indicates 10% battery health.

This was not a problem before (let's call it June/July) where I would complete my run and the watch would indicate up 80 to 85% battery remaining. Same course. Same run duration. And I've been doing this very same run for a few years now with the same watch.

Either the battery health indication is meaningless, there's some type of bug that's been introduced, or cellular reception as magically decreased.

Oct 9, 2022 3:34 PM in response to birky78

When a cellular device has trouble connecting to the network it uses a lot more power than when connected but not using the cellular connection.

I have noticed that for my cellular Apple watches when I swim in a pool. The pool is in the basement of a high rise and cell connection is very poor/non existent. If I turn Airplane mode on I do not see rapid battery depletion.

Apple watch battery dying in low cell service areas on workouts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.