Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone who finds my airtag have access to my name, address, email address, and/or phone number if I don't have "Lost Mode" enabled?

Can someone who finds my airtag have access to my name, address, email address, and/or phone number if I don't have "Lost Mode" enabled? I don't what to allow someone to find me with my car keys and be able to steal my car.

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 8:45 AM

G'day derfplik,

To make sure we're on the same page, you're asking if someone would be able to track you if you found your lost AirTags and you don't have Lost Mode on. Is that right?

Find My would allow you to track your AirTags or other devices, but it doesn't work in the opposite direction if someone found an AirTag. If you put your device in Lost Mode, you'd be able to provide contact information, but if you do not put your device in Lost Mode, someone who finds the AirTag wouldn't be able to find your contact information. This link has further details: What to do if you get an alert that an AirTag, Find My network accessory, or set of AirPods is with you - Apple Support

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 8:45 AM in response to derfplik

G'day derfplik,

To make sure we're on the same page, you're asking if someone would be able to track you if you found your lost AirTags and you don't have Lost Mode on. Is that right?

Find My would allow you to track your AirTags or other devices, but it doesn't work in the opposite direction if someone found an AirTag. If you put your device in Lost Mode, you'd be able to provide contact information, but if you do not put your device in Lost Mode, someone who finds the AirTag wouldn't be able to find your contact information. This link has further details: What to do if you get an alert that an AirTag, Find My network accessory, or set of AirPods is with you - Apple Support

Take care.

Jan 25, 2023 7:03 AM in response to Brittany1416

Thank you for your response. However, this doesn’t really answer my specific question. My concern is that if someone finds my keys which are attached to an AirTag, if they follow apples directions to finding the owner, will they be able to see my name, address, email address, and or phone number? The reason I want to know this is if I lose my keys would they be able to find my location and possibly steal my car?

Jan 23, 2023 4:59 PM in response to derfplik

Hello derfplik,

Please check out the following link, which explains how AirTag works, and may be helpful: Find your keys, backpack, and more with AirTag

AirTag helps you keep track of and find the items that matter most. If you misplace an item and it's nearby, use Precision Finding—on supported iPhone models—to guide you to it. You can also use the Find My app to play a sound on your AirTag, find it on a map, or get directions to it.

If you have concerns about unwanted tracking, please check out the details in the "Unwanted tracking" part of this link, which outlines what to do: What to do if you get an alert that an AirTag, Find My network accessory, or set of AirPods is with you

Unwanted tracking

If any AirTag, AirPods, or other Find My network accessory separated from its owner is seen moving with you over time, you'll be notified in one of two ways. These features were created specifically to discourage people from trying to track you without your knowledge.

1. If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Find My will send a notification to your Apple device. This feature is available on iOS or iPadOS 14.5 or later. To receive alerts, make sure that you:

• Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, and turn Location Services on.
• Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services. Turn Find My iPhone on.
• Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services. Turn Significant Locations on to be notified when you arrive at a significant location, such as your home. 
• Go to Settings > Bluetooth, and turn Bluetooth on. 
• Go to the Find My app, tap the Me tab, and turn Tracking Notifications on.
• Turn off airplane mode. If your device is in airplane mode, you won't receive tracking notifications.

An AirTag, AirPods Pro (2nd generation) charging case, or Find My network accessory that isn't with its owner for a period of time will emit a sound when it's moved.

If you detect an unknown AirTag, Find My network accessory, or AirPods, use the steps below to learn about it, find it, and disable it. If you're using an Android device, you can download the Tracker Detect app to find an AirTag or Find My network accessory that's separated from its owner and might be traveling with you.

Thank you.

Can someone who finds my airtag have access to my name, address, email address, and/or phone number if I don't have "Lost Mode" enabled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.