Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps Distance Between 2 Points

Is there any way to measure the distance between 2 points in Apple Maps?

• I want a straight line.
  • I do not want directions.
  • I do not want driving distance.
  • I do not want distance from my current location.

In Google Maps, it is as simple as a right-click on a pin.

(By the way, a Google Maps right-click works as intended when viewed in Chrome, but not when viewed in Safari.)

Mac Studio

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 11:13 AM

Nope.

Not in a manner anyone with any common sense would consider acceptable. The closest approximation to measuring straight line distance is to drag the Maps image so that those two points are superimposed upon its scale. Frankly that's a laughable suggestion.

If you think Maps is as miserable an excuse for an Apple product as I do then tell them: Feedback - Maps for OS X - Apple.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 11:13 AM in response to Al Hatch

Nope.

Not in a manner anyone with any common sense would consider acceptable. The closest approximation to measuring straight line distance is to drag the Maps image so that those two points are superimposed upon its scale. Frankly that's a laughable suggestion.

If you think Maps is as miserable an excuse for an Apple product as I do then tell them: Feedback - Maps for OS X - Apple.

Jan 21, 2023 11:40 AM in response to Al Hatch

If this is an Apple Maps feature request, you can submit direct feedback to the Apple Maps product team, as neither they nor any other Apple product team participate in these public communities.

One can use Apple's MapKit and CoreLocation frameworks to derive a straight-line distance between two map points whether physical addresses, or geolocation data. However, that development effort is beyond the scope of these communities. You can see an Xcode Playground example of straightline distance between street addresses and written in Swift here. As that was done in 2017, Apple has since changed some of the methods naming conventions and the Playgrounds will guide you on updating those instances. Another example from Kodeco is also Swift-based for iOS.

Jan 21, 2023 12:22 PM in response to Al Hatch

Al Hatch wrote:

• Is there any way to measure the distance between 2 points in Apple Maps?

No. Apple Maps does not have those kinds of features.

(By the way, a Google Maps right-click works as intended when viewed in Chrome, but not when viewed in Safari.)

That sounds like a problem with your Safari extensions. Maybe you have an ad-blocker or something. I can measure in Google Maps using Safari with no problem.

Apple Maps Distance Between 2 Points

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.